Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info request on Disabled WW1 vets

Options
  • 28-03-2014 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi

Was wondering if anyone had links or knew of any sources detailing the conditions for WW1 disabled vets when they returned home. My grandfather was discharged in 1916 after he'd had his arm amputated following being wounded on the Somme. I've his discharge papers and know he received a lifelong pension of 19 shillings and 3 d. There was a chapter in Horne ( Ed) Ireland and The Great War with some information on returnees but I'd like to find out more relating to
    How these men were treated economically , socially and as it was obvious they had been involved in the conflict how they were treated by supporters of the republican cause. Also anything on prosthetic aids or mechanical aids would be useful. I know he was treated in Duke of Connaught Hosp so anything on that would also be a help.

Thanks -P.s He was from the southeast but enlisted in the Royal Irish Rifles ( Northern Reg) in 1915 was that a common occurrence? Thanks again:)

Advertisement