Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got the MCSA Windows 7, what next?

Options
  • 28-03-2014 4:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2

Hi boards members looking for advice on this one

I pass the exams for my MCSA( Windows 7) this week, now I'm looking to start studying for another cert.

I work in IT support (helpdesk) I want to become a System admin or work in a level two environment so what certs do you reckon would get me closer towards one of them roles?

Certs i have so far

Comptia A+
    Comptia Network +
    MCSA Windows 7

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

gotta be mcsa server 2012 (r2), imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

maxwell88 wrote: »
    Hi boards members looking for advice on this one

I pass the exams for my MCSA( Windows 7) this week, now I'm looking to start studying for another cert.

I work in IT support (helpdesk) I want to become a System admin or work in a level two environment so what certs do you reckon would get me closer towards one of them roles?

Certs i have so far

Comptia A+
    Comptia Network +
    MCSA Windows 7

Thanks in advance

MCSA 2012 should be next on your list

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Just out of curiosity, what certs did you have when you started your job?
    How long have you worked there?
    When did you start studying for those certs(how long did it take to get them)?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

My advice would be to go to your manager or team lead and have a conversation about what it will take to move up the ladder...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

STEINBERG wrote: »
    My advice would be to go to your manager or team lead and have a conversation about what it will take to move up the ladder...

This may be of use to you, depends whether or not he/she is interested in helping you or not.

Study for the job you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Based on the company / job and your age...

I'll do the MCSA/MCSE on Server 2012 to give me some leverage against the senior people...

Then, i'll start / finish Security+ and Project+ .
    Soon after,do the ITIL / Prince and get a shift in the career:Management(Prince/PMI) and / or Security (CISSP / CEH) .

I dont think you'll like the future of the help-desks when the big guys are pushing and will succeed eventually in moving forcible everyone's data in the cloud.

PS
    Just found this article on the net:

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/it-certification-ladders,5-94-9.html

Mixing and Matching Makes for Powerful Combinations

IT certifications from more than one area can add up to more than you think.

It's not always enough to climb one IT certification ladder, or to stick to one certification program alone. In particular, it often makes sense to think about creating your own personalized or customized certification ladder. There, you can jump from vendor-neutral credentials for general background and knowledge, and follow up with higher-level credentials with a combination of both vendor-neutral and vendor-specific elements.

For example, you might dig into systems administration by starting off with CompTIA A+ and Network+, and then moving onto MCSA: Windows Server 2012 and MCSE: Server Infrastructure.

Or, for example, you might begin a foray into cloud computing with CompTIA Cloud Essentials, then follow up with CCC Cloud Technology Associate, and then move into MCSE: Cloud Computing plus the VMware VCP Cloud.

Once you start mixing and matching IT certifications, you can tailor just the kind of combination you need to match your interests and your present or planned working situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 !BigBadBarry

So i'm waiting to do the A+ exam, but planning going to study Computer Science in Sept par time eventually leading to a degree maybe going onto masters.

Looking at this thread i'm wondering should i not just do my A+, Network+ and then maybe some MCSA and MCSE courses instead

I'm not currently working in IT but looking to get into it.

Any help appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

IT is a big area, do you know specifically which part interests you?

Coding/development? System administration/design? Project Management?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 !BigBadBarry

Kinet1c wrote: »
    IT is a big area, do you know specifically which part interests you?

Coding/development? System administration/design? Project Management?

Well haven't tried much coding yet but not so sure i'd like doing it all day.

System Admin/design does sound more interesting not so sure what Project Management would involve?

Thinking along the lines of maybe Digital Forensics/Security or maybe Data Mining, won't know for sure untill i study the subjects.

Also thinking working towards a degree will give me more options long term ?

Advertisement