Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcove shelves mdf or ply?

Options
  • 28-03-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Howye,

I'm new to the boards (and to carpentry!) and was just enquiring what the best route is for alcove shelves. I was thinking of fixing 2 side panels of either 3/4 MDF or birch ply and attaching shelves with pocket screws and a cleat at the back of each shelf and finishing off with a red deal 2X1 face frame.

I suppose the question im asking is which way would be the best?. The MDF is cheaper but I have concerns with the chemical emmissions. Also, if I do go mdf, should I go with 1" side panels or is 3/4 enough?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

There is a lot to think about. See www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm.
    A cleat at the back won't stop the front edge from sagging - you need to use two cleats with material up to 3/4". The eye is very sensitive to even a little amount of sag and I presume you will have heavy loads like books etc ?
    I avoid MDF for shelving altogether although it doesn't emit gasses to my knowledge.I would favour blockboard ( yes -its still available )
    and your overall construction plan is fine.
    With a 2x1 faceframe there will be considerable overlap if using 3/4" uprights and that is an aesthetic consideration.Have a play with materials on the sagulator site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

PS, by 'cleat' I'm assuming you mean a piece of solid wood attached to the underside of the entire shelf edges to stiffen it ?

Advertisement