Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Style v Substance

Options
  • 28-03-2014 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

On a scale of 1 (Substance) to 10 (Style), what criteria do you use when making bike-related purchases?

Everyone likes to look good (or at least think they look good), but at what cost in terms of quality of item? For people that are on the lower end of the scale above, is it just that you convince yourself that whatever item you think looks the bees knees is actually of the highest quality too?

:cool: -v- :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I pick the highest quality in my price range, then choose black or silver for, whichever matches my color scheme

If my seatpost is black my saddle will be white
    black handlebars-white grips
    and vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

These dimensions are orthogonal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Style. Unless it negatively effects Substance. In those case, Substance unless it makes me look shyte :) in which case please refer to above.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

My current bike was dilemma on style versus substance.
    The 2013 Giant Defy 2 doesn't look great with a blue and grey paint job, along with fairly featureless branding.
    In my price bracket it was by far the best bang for buck though. It was also the least visually appealing.

I'd give it a 6 on the scale as the look of it has grown on me.

Same with shoes. Black and dark grey Mavic Rush. Looked better in white, but not Irish roads.

All about style for Jerseys though. Tight and Italian all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I don't think there's much of a trade off with most gear. Most really good quality clothing is stylish. Ditto shoes, helmets, gloves etc.

With bikes there is a trade off sometimes. Planet X being the prime example; great group sets, decent frames and a very good price all wrapped up in a horrible paint job.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I would never shy away from style however substance always comes first. Fortunately in cycling the two are often one in the same, sidi, campag......... Trek? Ok not always but you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It depends on what I'm buying. I tend to buy lidl/Aldi/Monton clothing as it's cheap
    and does what I need but for bike components intend to go for middle range parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

i have an friend who's an engineer (aeronotical) and although he can appreciate style its interesting that with his 'engineers mind' substance is valued over everything and it shows with his cycling! nothing he likes more than pulling apart any fads or style items that are done for the sake of it.

Personally I like a balance of both but it definitely makes me laugh when you see some of these guys looking all 'euro' and 'stylish' at events who cant back it up with their riding. (we've all seen them!) That's pretty tragic. Anyone who buys for quality / substance though can be forgiven in this event I think just as you'd buy decent tools, machines, clothes? etc

The only way for companies to keep on their toes and keep producing the goods is through competition and so i'd never blindly follow any company. just because they've got a great history in the sport means nothing if their current output is sh!t.
    In that sense i suppose id lean towards substance, its up to the companies to work for the people to produce quality and style at the same time and at a fair price. Competition drives this not blind brand loyalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I'm surprised this hasn't cleared up this question....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Lumen wrote: »
    These dimensions are orthogonal.

You mean 1 dimensional, orthogonal implies two:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Rule 14 people! :)

A lot is down to budget tbh. But at a race/sportive the rider and substance above all.

Advertisement