Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Editing software for a 10 year old.

Options
  • 28-03-2014 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    As the title suggests, my daughter has a big interest in video and is using her phone to edit videos at the moment. Id love to get her proper software (ive a macbook pro) as it seems something she is really really interested in it. Can anyone point me in the direction of decent software that is fairly intuitive to use, especially for a (technically minded!) 10 year old.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

antodeco wrote: »
    Hi all,
    As the title suggests, my daughter has a big interest in video and is using her phone to edit videos at the moment. Id love to get her proper software (ive a macbook pro) as it seems something she is really really interested in it. Can anyone point me in the direction of decent software that is fairly intuitive to use, especially for a (technically minded!) 10 year old.

Thanks

iMovie that came with the Mac, its very straight forward.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ha! I never even thought of that. :o Ive never used any of the software on it (always been using for music production/editing). Ill have a look at that. Can that convert from mp4?
    Thanks

antodeco wrote: »
    Ha! I never even thought of that. :o Ive never used any of the software on it (always been using for music production/editing). Ill have a look at that. Can that convert from mp4?
    Thanks

Yeah should be able to handle all that, though converting to an uncompressed format makes editing much smoother. Loads of good tutorials on YouTube. Loads of options when she hits the limits of that but I suspect the next step will be some form of dedicated camera instead of phone.

And BTW Garage Band is actually really good for doing up custom music to go with the videos

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

iMovie would be a great start. A step up from that software would be premiere elements, iMovie isn't supposed to be all that good at handling the content, poor at labeling videos and so on. That's according to the gadget show that just reviewed these pieces of software in the last episode. Premiere got the top marks, I think it's around €90 or can be got on a monthly basis so you can cancel the subscription once she's moved onto something else in 2 months time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement