Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolex advice

Options
  • 28-03-2014 1:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7

Hi bought a Rolex last summer in a high end Dublin jewellers The cheap end of the range
    Two weeks ago I went for a swim and left the watch on, I did check that the crown was closed. After the swim I noticed there was water on the dial the crown was still closed
    I dropped the watch back to the Jewellers expecting watch to be repaired.
    This morning I received a phone call to say the watch was tested and was waterproof so was not covered, I'm totally shocked as I know crown was closed ,
    Any advice please

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Man that's a tough one. :( If they pressure test it and it passed, how can you prove it leaked. FWIW I've seen the near exact same thing happen with a mate of mine's Rolex. Only in his case it was after a shower. Condensation on the inside showed up. He brought it back under warranty(not in Ireland) and same thing, it passed the pressure tests so they wouldn't cover it. He kicked up stink about it, dunno how it ended TBH. I think he had to pay.

I can see how any "water resistant" watch would pass and yet still leak. EG a watch rated to 50m that would pass a test at that rate you would think would be fine for swimming and it would be, however dive into a pool and that sudden pressure increase could open it up and let in moisture. Test it after and it could well pass the 50m rating. The ratings are static pressure, so don't take into account sudden pressure changes or things like the heat of a shower or sauna. Even going down in depth, 50m is 160 odd feet, but no way would you trust a 50m rated watch for even relatively shallow snorkeling for example.

I dunno what rating your Rolex has. I'd imagine higher than 50m though? If it's 200m or above I dunno how or why it would leak. :confused:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

What is the cost of the repair?
    Might be worth investigating if the small claims court route is appropriate
    http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/781D7D5227918A618025715C004CAEF3?opendocument

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

to your point about checking the crown was closed, would you have had reason to suspect it was open ? did you adjust anything beforehand?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Beat the blues

Still waiting on cost to repair watch , And reason I had checked crown as it had opened a couple of times over the last 8 months Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

My sympathies. It's really difficult for you to prove if it passes a pressure test. Hope it's not too hefty a bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Still waiting on cost to repair watch , And reason I had checked crown as it had opened a couple of times over the last 8 months Thanks

The crown should never open on its own, There's your fault right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭breanach78

hi5 wrote: »
    The crown should never open on its own, There's your fault right there.

Thought that too. Any update on this. What type of rolex was this?

Advertisement