Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rear wheel not running true?

Options
  • 28-03-2014 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

hi there

just wondering if anyone could offer me some advice please? i've recently purchased a set of planet x ct45 wheels which I'm really happy with. When I was moving my bike out of the way this morning I noticed that the rear wheel was sticking a little in the brake pads. I loosened the brakes and even took the wheel off and put it back on. It looks to me like the wheel is not running true. I don't understand how this could have happened as I was out on it yesterday and it was fine. One of the kids may have knocked the bike over without me noticing but even something like that shouldn't affect the alignment of a wheel ? would it? could it be just something simple that I can fix myself or do I need to send the wheel back?
    anyone have similar experience to this?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

One of these should do the trick

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/s?q=spoke%2Bkey

Youtube vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcZ1jjB_AdQ

Shouldn't need the fancy stand

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

rodriquez wrote: »
    hi there

just wondering if anyone could offer me some advice please? i've recently purchased a set of planet x ct45 wheels which I'm really happy with. When I was moving my bike out of the way this morning I noticed that the rear wheel was sticking a little in the brake pads. I loosened the brakes and even took the wheel off and put it back on. It looks to me like the wheel is not running true. I don't understand how this could have happened as I was out on it yesterday and it was fine. One of the kids may have knocked the bike over without me noticing but even something like that shouldn't affect the alignment of a wheel ? would it? could it be just something simple that I can fix myself or do I need to send the wheel back?
    anyone have similar experience to this?
    thanks

Probably not worth sending back yet. Spokes may just need a re-tensioning. Bike shop will do for a tenner (less than postage back to uk) . Would not attempt to repair myself. If problem persists send back to PX as may be a manufacturing fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

great - thanks for the feedback, so it's just a tweak of the spokes that's required, think i'll drop it into my LBS for that job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

this one here is sold in some local bike stores, I build alot of wheels and it does the job well

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/bbb-turner-spoke-key-twister-btl15/rp-prod3976

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

There may be an easier answer to this. Make sure the rear wheel is sitting centrally between the 2 seatstays. Your issue happened to me on a spin last week and all that was required was to loosen the quick release skewer, align the wheel centrally and re tighten skewer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

Muckers wrote: »
    There may be an easier answer to this. Make sure the rear wheel is sitting centrally between the 2 seatstays. Your issue happened to me on a spin last week and all that was required was to loosen the quick release skewer, align the wheel centrally and re tighten skewer.

I did try that because initially I thought that was the problem - i've taken the wheel off and spun it on it's skewer and to my eye it is spinning 'off' at a certain point

because it's a 45 mm rim I think i'd prefer to let an expert sort it out - I wouldn't even know how to get at the spoke adjusters anyway

Advertisement