Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discounted 4* and 5* hotels (mostly Europe)

Options
  • 28-03-2014 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭

This is a German site that uses ebay to auction vouchers for hotel rooms. I presume they buy unsold rooms in bulk from hotels and then auction them off.
    Been using it for years and had some great deals in Belgium, Stockholm and Spain.

http://www.zuzzu.com/search

Little bit more work involved but some great savings in hotels if you dont mind putting in a bit of extra time.
    It's a good site to search to see which cities are available. Once you see something interesting, just click to be forwarded to the ebay auction to make a bid. You can contact the hotel in advance to see if they have availability for your dates. If you win, you are emailed the pdf voucher, which you present on check in.
    You can search on ebay too, but it's handier from Zuzzu, as you can see the German language ones are cheaper, then you can just look at the English ones to get the translation. (Ebay germany uses the same login as Ebay ie and the buttons etc. are obvious if you open the English site alonside it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Another bargain slowly drifting to page 2 with no interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

random selection in swizland has me looking at a hotel at 499 per night
    http://www.zuzzu.com/offers/Travel%20area/Switzerland,+Austria,+Liechtenstein

No doubt the missus will go through the site with a fine tooth comb later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

These oul' things are in cahoots with hotels to ride you sideways. Best thing to do is phone the hotel directly - the desk of at least the duty manager, not some call centre who don't give a rattling. Ask them if they've any rooms currently "down" - hotel-speak for out-of-action due to some fault. This is often because the kettle doesn't work. You'll often get four-star accommodation for peanuts this way. Just go out for your coffee. ;)

jimgoose wrote: »
    These oul' things are in cahoots with hotels to ride you sideways. Best thing to do is phone the hotel directly - the desk of at least the duty manager, not some call centre who don't give a rattling. Ask them if they've any rooms currently "down" - hotel-speak for out-of-action due to some fault. This is often because the kettle doesn't work. You'll often get four-star accommodation for peanuts this way. Just go out for your coffee. ;)

No these are proper value, trust me. I cant speak for the ringing and bargaining, but I do know this site is good, and the rooms will not be 'down'

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

No these are proper value, trust me. I cant speak for the ringing and bargaining, but I do know this site is good, and the rooms will not be 'down'

Fair enough. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thank you for that linkie as I'd never heard of it before now myself.

Will keep it in mind for any future bookings, but this morning for example:
    Search: Ireland -> 1option Munster -> 1option Limerick -> Radison Blu bidding starts at 95euro.
    ^ Booking direct on their site min price is 89euro bb
    ^ Booking with other 3rd party sites offering reduced prices and you get lower again.

As I said though, Cheers for the linkie - I will look in there again but not sure I'd like to get into a bidding-war over a break away though, especially when guaranteed cheaper elsewhere online :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

/I will add it to our Linkies thread over in our Travel forum also

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Thank you for that linkie as I'd never heard of it before now myself.

Will keep it in mind for any future bookings, but this morning for example:
    Search: Ireland -> 1option Munster -> 1option Limerick -> Radison Blu bidding starts at 95euro.
    ^ Booking direct on their site min price is 89euro bb
    ^ Booking with other 3rd party sites offering reduced prices and you get lower again.

As I said though, Cheers for the linkie - I will look in there again but not sure I'd like to get into a bidding-war over a break away though, especially when guaranteed cheaper elsewhere online :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

/I will add it to our Linkies thread over in our Travel forum also
    You do realise that €95 is for 2 nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭copper04

This involves buying a voucher and as can be seen from WWW reviews it is difficult to get the days you want, sometimes impossible.

copper04 wrote: »
    This involves buying a voucher and as can be seen from WWW reviews it is difficult to get the days you want, sometimes impossible.

No its very simple, you just email the contact email address and ask if they have availability on your dates. Dont bid if they dont have your dates

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

If its anything similar to the deal a day type vouchers in Ireland, just because a hotel has availability on a given date doesn't necessarily mean they will accept your voucher on that date

• Advertisement

jmorrisey wrote: »
    If its anything similar to the deal a day type vouchers in Ireland, just because a hotel has availability on a given date doesn't necessarily mean they will accept your voucher on that date

So you just tell them you have a voucher and they tell you if it can be used for that room. They don't have all the blackout dates that daily voucher site deals have.

Advertisement