Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining a second club. Interclub racing.

Options
  • 28-03-2014 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

Lads, looking to do a bit of interclub racing this year really just to get a taste of racing, with a view to possibly doing a bit next year. My club isn't part of any league, but there is a big club local to where I work that are. I have cycled with them regularly midweek during the last year. Can I join this club to compete in this league? Do I just contact their secretary to join?

Is there anything I need to know about interclub racing. Am I right in saying I have to upgrade my leisure licence? Is there a requirement to wear club gear? Anything else I should know? First up is an ITT.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Plastik

Depends on the club. The relevant secretary/membership official will be able to let you know. Some clubs are happy to take on associate members for these situations, others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

If it's the ICL in Dublin, you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

ICL in Dublin you need to wear "recent" club kit and have a minimum of "Limited Competition" licence.

Not sure about membership but the secretary of any of the clubs should be abe to help

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Can I join this club to compete in this league?

You're allowed be in more than two clubs at once alright. You'd need to check with the club to make sure you can compete in the league, since there's a CI rule about no more than five clubs competing in a league and I think they count your primary membership for that.
    Do I just contact their secretary to join?

Yes
    Am I right in saying I have to upgrade my leisure licence?

Yes, you need either a club competition licence or a full competition licence. The latter allows you to also compete in open races.
    Is there a requirement to wear club gear?

Depends on the club and the league rules. Some clubs require you to wear it, some done.

ICL in Dublin you need to wear "recent" club kit and have a minimum of "Limited Competition" licence.

Not sure about membership but the secretary of any of the clubs should be abe to help

Don't bother contacting a secretary. I can confirm 100% - you can't race in the league if your CI licence is with a club outside the league, even if you are also a member of a club within the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Thanks for the replies lads, happy to report having spoken with the club's secretary, the clubs organising the Inter Club are allowing individual participants from different clubs so I don't even have to join. Only have to upgrade the licence. My only issue now is the Team Time Trial!!!

Is this the Dublin ICL? If so it's contrary to what I've been told by the organisers?

spyderski wrote: »
    Is this the Dublin ICL? If so it's contrary to what I've been told by the organisers?

No, not in Dublin, ulster.

Lads anyone advise me on how to upgrade my licence. I have followed the instructions as per the FAQs on the cycling ireland website, but when I get to my member page the drop down box that now says Non Competition is frozen. All I can change are my contact details. Has anyone any idea as to how I go about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Contact them via the email form. They told me that part of the website isn't actually finished yet, despite the website FAQ telling you what to do.

In fairness, they sorted it extremely quickly for me once I contacted them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

I upgraded my licence last week. Was very impressed and even posted here about their service.
    Ring them, pay over the phone, collect your new licence and racing numbers fallowing day from the post box.

Advertisement