Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Boards.ie PW Hall of Fame

Options
  • 27-03-2014 10:36pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's that time again folks, Dare2Defy is pretty busy though so I said I would get the ball rolling on this:

Boards.ie PW Hall of fame - As voted by you the PW posters over the past few years.
    The Boards.ie PW Hall of Fame:
    The 2013 Class:

"Macho Man" Randy Savage
    Bret "Hitman" Hart
    Sting

The Great Muta

The British Bulldogs

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan

The Complete Boards.ie Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame
    The Boards.ie Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame:

- Ric Flair
    - Hulk Hogan
    - Bruno Sammartino
    - The Undertaker
    - Shawn Michaels
    - Stone Cold Steve Austin
    - "Macho Man" Randy Savage
    - Bret "Hitman" Hart
    - Sting

- Mitsurharu Misawa
    - Eddie Guerrero
    - Kenta Kobashi
    - The Great Muta

- The Dudleys
    - The Road Warriors (Hawk and Animal)
    - The British Bulldogs

- Vince McMahon Jr
    - Jim Ross
    - Bobby "The Brain" Heenan

Okay so with regards this years votes

To vote, all you have to do is PM me your choices from the following categories:

- 3 US wrestlers
    - 1 International wrestler
    - 1 Tag Team
    - 1 Non-Wrestler (commentator, booker etc....)

Who will be taking their place alongside the current Hall of Fame?? It's up to you who goes in :) voting closes the moment Wrestlemania ends

(normally we would have started this before now and our HOF class would coincide with the WWEs own but I think we need a bit more time for voting and the increased traffic with Mania should give a good amount of votes even with the late posting of this

This is being voted via PM but here you can discuss who is worthy of joining such illustrious company in the most prestigious HOF in all of PW :pac:

who should be the International inductee? 2 votes

Jushin "Thunder" Liger
    0% 0 votes
    Andre The Giant
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Can I suggest a few changes to the format?

Have people PM you with the categories outlined above but make this only for the nomination stage.

In order to GET IN, put each candidate that received the most nominations up in a poll on the board for 1 week, and make it that they must attain at least 80% support to qualify.

I think that would make it much more interesting and generate passionate discussion over who should get in and who shouldn't.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I've already received votes (that was quick).

I don't want to change things too much as D2D ran this the past 2 years (and ran it well imo) but he's just too busy at the moment and since we are already starting later than usual. Having said that I do think that is a very good idea and think that it could be implemented in that way next year perhaps (especially seing as as the years go on i'd imagine there might be a lot more debate as atm there are still some names that literally have to go in).

Also thinking of doing up a bit of a Boards PW calendar at some point soon and if as you say it was to run over multiple weeks that would fit well in such a thing. i.e The Draft is our Mania, my Around The Horn tournie is kinda our KOTR (however as that means nothing in present day WWE, lets say Survivor series), This can fill the void after the draft / and mania ends each year perhaps. Just need several more things to add to that like bringing back the The PW slammy awards as seen here in it's 2010 form, or the 2010 Irish Top 25 and the 2010 American Top 30

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I can see a European getting the nod for a first in the international category.

To name just a few of the people I wouldn't be surprised to see get voted for and to get people thinking.

Andre The Giant, Buddy Rogers, Terr and / or Dory Funk, Bob Backlund, The Rock, Dusty Rhodes, Gene Okerlund, Gorilla Monsoon, Harley Race, Paul Heyman, The Iron Shiek, Rikidozan, The Briscos, Jake Roberts, Jesse Ventura, Trish Stratus, Mae Young / Moolah, Killer Kowalski, Ted Dibiase, Bockwinkel, Ricky Steamboat, Piper, The Shiek, Verne Gagne, The Von Erich's

what I left loads of fellah's off that list well then bring them up in thread or better yet send me a vote with their name in it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Sent in my votes there some guys that i'm astounded haven't made it in already including the Rock who i myself didn't vote for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Should we add a separate female category to cover diva/wrestler/manager/valet etc.,?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Should we add a separate female category to cover diva/wrestler/manager/valet etc.,?

Could be covered under the other wrestler categories but id say if none go in this year then maybe we add it in next year?

Other names not listed in my previous post that I wouldnt be surprised to get pmd

HHH, Mr Perfect, Mick Foley, Scott Hall, Chris Jericho, Giant Baba, Lou Thesz, Nigel McGuinness, William Regal, Santo, Howard Finkel, Kurt Angle

edit: could be wuite an Interesting vote this year - 3 sets of votes have been submitted so far and only 1 name has been mentioned more than once

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've already received votes (that was quick).

I don't want to change things too much as D2D ran this the past 2 years (and ran it well imo) but he's just too busy at the moment and since we are already starting later than usual. Having said that I do think that is a very good idea and think that it could be implemented in that way next year perhaps (especially seing as as the years go on i'd imagine there might be a lot more debate as atm there are still some names that literally have to go in).

Also thinking of doing up a bit of a Boards PW calendar at some point soon and if as you say it was to run over multiple weeks that would fit well in such a thing. i.e The Draft is our Mania, my Around The Horn tournie is kinda our KOTR (however as that means nothing in present day WWE, lets say Survivor series), This can fill the void after the draft / and mania ends each year perhaps. Just need several more things to add to that like bringing back the The PW slammy awards as seen here in it's 2010 form, or the 2010 Irish Top 25 and the 2010 American Top 30

I really like the concept of a Hall of Fame but I think the problem with the current format is that it's a bit too open.

If we take the example of Sting, I think he'd be quite an interesting debate on whether or not he deserves it. I believe I'm right in saying that he hasn't made the Observer Hall of Fame yet he made the PW forum's one. Personally, I would vote for him to make it but I think others may well differ.

This particular format though just requires some Sting fans to put his name forward and if there's an open field, and the votes get split amongst many names, then he gets in. I just think that's a bit too generous.

Plus, a bit of passionate discussion is always welcome. :cool:

Fair enough though if it's too soon for it and considering you're already getting votes in it would appear that's the case. Hopefully it's on the table in future.

I like the idea of that Top 25 or 30 list too. Maybe that could be updated on a monthly basis?

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Submitted there now, when with a few outsiders that i think deserve to be in ahead of some oft he favourites here.

So far there have been 12 US wrestlers nominated (2 of which are Canadian if it matters...some nominated Canadians as internationals)

The most votes for any one of these is 5 and people are slightly leaning towards more modern stars thus far

6 different International nominees

the most for any one is 3 although one nominated this person as a US wrestler (im counting it here as more nominated him in this catagory so far)

3 different tag teams

1 poster chose not to nominate a tag team and all tag teams nominated so far have more than 1 vote

and 4 different non wrestlers

with 1 having 3 votes leading by a vote atm

• Advertisement

Bump not enough votes made yet folks - but to make it seem like this isn't just a bump here are some stats

Benoit has been voted for

Piper should have more votes

2 woman have been voted for

2 people voted for will be involved at Mania, 1 is a wrestler

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Just submitted my list..picked some guys who really stood out when I first started watching many moons ago.

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    Just submitted my list..picked some guys who really stood out when I first started watching many moons ago.

cheers man, another couple have voted and it's starting to look like a proper class of 2014 emerging with a mix of new and old.

13 Men & woman have now been voted for in the US wrestler category. There is a clear top 3 atm but two wrestlers are only one vote away from a poll being needed to decide this one as it stands

Ireland, England, Mexico, Japan, Canada, France and Iran are all represented among the 8 voted for the international inductee

5 different tag teams have been nominated, 1 is clear infront but two others are only 1 vote behind

A leader is emerging from the non wrestlers and it's not the guy who after the first few votes was the only guy voted for in this catagory

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It would be easier to create a buzz for this with a live thread. People would get a encouraged to post as the thread would stay fresh in the front page longer and not slip peoples mind. The PM version might also make posters wonder if anyone else is bothering to participate. Also, it would be fun to see the nominees and their reasons, if any.

Omackeral wrote: »
    It would be easier to create a buzz for this with a live thread. People would get a encouraged to post as the thread would stay fresh in the front page longer and not slip peoples mind. The PM version might also make posters wonder if anyone else is bothering to participate. Also, it would be fun to see the nominees and their reasons, if any.

I guess the initial idea for the PM voting was two fold: 1) doing exactly what Dare 2 Defy did in previous years & 2)So that people were not influenced by others voting and instead voted for who they actually wanted and not just who they thought might make it based on votes thus far

Having said that people can post their votes here if they wish, I have enough votes via PM now that the results will still be unknown before revealed and this will def get pimped out on the podcast (no idea how many will actually listen to that though)

plus ill also continue to throw up random stats to show that people are voting

Terry Funk has been voted on in more than 1 catagory
    If voting ended now there would be a few inductees into the boards.ie PW HOF that have not made it into the WWE HOF yet

btw one voter already offered via PM but if anyone is willing to do a write up for an inductee that would be cool

I'd do one for one of the categories no probs BH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Without naming names, has my international vote got any votes besides mine?

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'd do one for one of the categories no probs BH.

cheers Brah! (damn you Jaykhunter)

got another 1 or 2 votes in

and atm we actually have a tie in the tag and US categories

Without naming names, has my international vote got any votes besides mine?

unfortunately not but that category has quite a spread of votes if he had even 2 more votes he would be forcing a tie breaking poll

• Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'll help too BH if need be

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'll help too BH if need be

cheers Liz, thats 4 of us now for write ups. If anyone else wants to give me a shout, it will be appreciated although im sure between us we could cover 6 inductees (considering the tag team as 1) between us.

the last vote I got in changed things a little

One US wrestler is looking fairly safe as an inductee. As things stand another one will be an automatic inductee too but with only 1 vote less than him there are 3 people on the same number of votes.

Meanwhile a poll may not be needed in the tag team department with the latest vote seperating the two most voted for teams by a solitary vote.

The International field keeps widening as more get voted on but the current leader remains the same although that person is still only one vote ahead.

The leading non-wrestler seems secure atm but a few votes could still change all categories inc this one

When are the results for this announced?

Said in the OP voting closes the moment WM ends, although I was considering extending that if we didn't get enough votes (unless we get virtually no more though id say we are fine)

therefore I will count them up on monday (Tuesday after Raw if it's extended) and inform the people doing write ups who they are doing one for (Ideally I'll try and pick someone they voted for for each person) and then it will all get announced the day or so after - so by Wednesday i'd say it'l all be announced as the write ups don't need to be big mammoth speeches.

that said it could take longer if we have a tie in a category and we have to have a poll (probably lasting 24hrs) to see who gets to be an inductee

This is awesome

*clap clap clap clap*

This is awesome

pimped this out on the podcast and its the day of Mania so here is a bump so its on Page1 if anyone was listening or just for the increased traffic to allow for more votes before polls close (once mania is over)

there is now a tie in the International star category while a new man has moved into the top 3 positions in the US title

all of these people recieved votes

Perfect
    HHH
    CM Punk
    Harley Race
    Ricky Steamboat
    Roddy Piper
    The Rock
    Kurt Angle
    Dusty Rhodes
    Mae Young
    Trish Stratus
    Chris Benoit
    Bam Bam
    Vader
    Mick Foley
    Terry Funk
    Ron Simmons
    The Iron Shiek
    Jushin Liger
    Nigel McGuinness
    Andre
    Chris Jericho
    William Regal
    Rey Mysterio
    Fit Finley
    Antoni Inoki
    Edge
    Demolition
    The Funk Brothers
    E&C
    The Hardy Boyz
    The Hollywood Blondes (Pillman and Austin)
    Rock and Roll Express
    Gorilla Monsoon
    Eric Bischoff
    Joey Styles
    Paul Heyman
    Paul Bearer
    Howard Finkel
    Pat Patterson

and we have a new set of 3 US wrestlers, 1 tag team and 1 non wrestler ready to head into the boards.ie PW Hall of fame (will inform the folks doing write ups later) but before then we still have to decide between two tied picks for International inductee

so please vote above and if you wish leave your reason below for

A) Jushin "Thunder" Liger

B) Andre The Giant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

#sheikfor2015

Out of the two, Andre. His impact on the sport is still felt to this day and was an icon for the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Gave my original vote to Liger and it'll go to him now. Andre was a bigger star, but Liger was a true innovator. Plus his entrance music is super awesome.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Have to go with Andre out of the two for sheer impact on the wrestling world.

• Advertisement

Andre too, left a lasting impact in the wrestling world and not the most familiar with Liger

Advertisement