Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Heifers for bulling

Options
  • 27-03-2014 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭

I have 3 Hereford x heifers that are 2 year old mid April they were hand reared suck calves and I wanted too put them to the bull, however I feel they might be a bit small, id say there 350-360 kg, bull is a limo. I was told best thing is let them out and feed them meal outside and this promotes growth, but not much grass around and I don't want too be going with silage out too them if I pen them separate and feed them meal for a while would this do??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Dickie10 wrote: »
    I have 3 Hereford x heifers that are 2 year old mid April they were hand reared suck calves and I wanted too put them to the bull, however I feel they might be a bit small, id say there 350-360 kg, bull is a limo. I was told best thing is let them out and feed them meal outside and this promotes growth, but not much grass around and I don't want too be going with silage out too them if I pen them separate and feed them meal for a while would this do??:confused:

If they aren't fit to bull at that age then they aren't worth bulling IMO. I have heifers that I'll be trying to calve at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

they haven't performed well enough to justify getting them in calf...
    They would need to be that weight and a bit with it at 15 months of age when they should be bulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

Are you sure they are only that weight???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

I would either keep them for the factory or sell at mart and buy two springers in there place. they didnt perform for you move on and buy new stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

if they are bucket reared and didnt get a good do its reasonable that they are only that weight, personally id chance it. But look after them well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

well there quiet as hell and should be milky had them out on their own and they look a bit bigger alright prob are 400 kg , I have a pic of the smallest one but I dunno how to upload on this yolk from ifone

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

I know that best practice now is to push heifers on and have them calving at 2 years but I wouldn't be too worried about only getting them to the bull now. The traditional way to do it would be bull at 2 years or so and you are dealing with a "traditional" breed. It depends on what kind of final weight the cow would get to. Some HE or AA cows will only ever be a max of 9 and a half or 10 hundredweight so you wouldn't be a million miles off where you are now. Obviously if you had Lims or sims there those weights wouldn't be good as final weights could be 650 or 700 kgs.

To answer your original questions though I'd be happy enough to bull them and look after them but you might be better off chancing an AA or shorthorn straw rather than letting an animal of a lim bull at them. Piling meal in at this stage won't give you massive growth but don't neglect them and when you have a bit of grass give them lots of it and they should do alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭benjydagg

Sell them! They are worth a fortune at the moment.

Advertisement