Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Webb App Server

Options
  • 27-03-2014 4:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭

I am currently installing Windows Web Apps server in a small test environment and I can't quite get my head around how it works.
    Every document only deals with Lync and Sharepoint integration, even though the Offcie Web Apps Server is a standalone server.
    So it should be possible to just configure a website on it, point it at a document with a URL link to it and it should work.
    None of the documentation makes a single reference to that or hints at configuration.
    Do I absolutely need Sharepoint and Lync, or can it function just via browser?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

The Windows Web App server is completely different from IIS, which is what you are looking for. IIS comes native in all flavours of Windows server. Windows Web App server is for adding advanced functions to an Microsoft Office environment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

CptSternn wrote: »
    The Windows Web App server is completely different from IIS, which is what you are looking for. IIS comes native in all flavours of Windows server. Windows Web App server is for adding advanced functions to an Microsoft Office environment.

I am currently installing Windows Webb Apps Server as part of a project.
    One of the functions of web app server (if I understand it correctly) is to open Office documents in a browser when Office is not installed on a machine:

300968.JPG

This is as far as I am in my install.

Advertisement