Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Ireland?

Options
  • 27-03-2014 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Without getting all evangelical on me can anyone tell me why I should become a registered member of Cycling Ireland please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

With a premium on some events for non membership you can save a few bob over the year.
    Insurance is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

Midnight64 wrote: »
    Without getting all evangelical on me can anyone tell me why I should become a registered member of Cycling Ireland please?

No reason to join Cycling Ireland for everyday life.
    Are you a competitive, leisure or club cyclist?
    Give us some details on your cycling plans and you might receive some valuable answers to your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭cassette50

In a similar position to the OP - on the insurance front - it says that you are covered for all training spins and approved events.

Do you have to signed up for a future C.I. event (sportive, race, etc..)in order to be covered on "training spins"? or as I am only a leisure cyclist would I be covered on all my spins?

Apologies if I slightly derail the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

cassette50 wrote: »
    In a similar position to the OP - on the insurance front - it says that you are covered for all training spins and approved events.

Do you have to signed up for a future C.I. event (sportive, race, etc..)in order to be covered on "training spins"? or as I am only a leisure cyclist would I be covered on all my spins?

Apologies if I slightly derail the thread.

No problem not derailed at all. You pretty much identified my situation.

I was thinking of insurance cover for solo and group cycling. I have returned to cycling after a very long gap and with a desperate need to remove the effect of an excess of pies!!

After about a month of cycling and experiencing the proximity to some of the car/truck/bus drivers in my area I though I had better 1. get some insurance and 2. get some security in numbers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I signed up 'unattached' a few years ago to cover sportives etc. Even if I'm not signed up for an event, I'm still training as in improving my ability/endurance or whatever.

You should be covered on a leisure spin but not popping down to the shops. The commute is an interesting one. It could be construed as 'training' if you are using it to 'get miles in the legs' or as a workout...

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I signed up 'unattached' a few years ago to cover sportives etc. Even if I'm not signed up for an event, I'm still training as in improving my ability/endurance or whatever.

You should be covered on a leisure spin but not popping down to the shops. The commute is an interesting one. It could be construed as 'training' if you are using it to 'get miles in the legs' or as a workout...

It would be fitness. I am not ready for the commute from Ashbourne to Blackrock quite yet so all of my rides could genuinely be called training, I guess?

It would be fitness. I am not ready for the commute from Ashbourne to Blackrock quite yet so all of my rides could genuinely be called training, I guess?

CI membership would cover you for spins and training, regarding insurance, if a third party claim was legitimately placed against you.

For personal injuries you are covered for a small amount. You notify CI of the incident and are then referred to the insurers where you complete copious amounts of paperwork in order to lodge your claim correctly.

Clubs may insist on you being insured whilst participating in their activities. CI membership covers this with a range of licences from leisure through to full competition.

Cycling around to gain fitness and lose weight... Probably not a huge incentive to take out CI membership but when you become hooked and want to ride certain events then it is probably a 'must'.

Good luck on your endeavours. You should really enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

i don't think you are insured in a leisure spin,do you mean by that out with a few lads or on your own.if you go out on an organizd spin with a club your insured but not on your own or with one or two riders.

i don't think you are insured in a leisure spin,do you mean by that out with a few lads or on your own.if you go out on an organizd spin with a club your insured but not on your own or with one or two riders.

You are insured whilst riding/training on your own or with a couple of riders provided you have some form of CI licence.

Size of group does not matter.

ragazzo wrote: »
    You are insured whilst riding/training on your own or with a couple of riders provided you have some form of CI licence.

Size of group does not matter.
    are you certain of that.not doubting your word but i was in a bad enough crash with a club group,i crashed through no fault of my own (fred in the group) and i was told i was not insured, not that i would have claimed i wouldn.,broke my collor bone on a solo ride out of work for 6 weeks not a penny earned. i doubt very much cycling ireland would have poneyed up any money to cover my loss.blood from a stone me thinks.
    read the small print,ask before you set off if your insured just to be on the safe side.if your so inclined i'm not.

• Advertisement

are you certain of that.not doubting your word but i was in a bad enough crash with a club group,i crashed through no fault of my own (fred in the group) and i was told i was not insured, not that i would have claimed i wouldn.,broke my collor bone on a solo ride out of work for 6 weeks not a penny earned. i doubt very much cycling ireland would have poneyed up any money to cover my loss.blood from a stone me thinks.
    read the small print,ask before you set off if your insured just to be on the safe side.if your so inclined i'm not.

If you had a CI licence then you were personally insured. You obviously received misleading information from somebody.

The limit insured for personal injury seems to be €2500 and there is an excess on the claim. Might cover a week or two out of work or hospital and some physio but not suitable for self employed.
    Not sure how loss of earnings is compensated or if it even is.

ragazzo wrote: »
    If you had a CI licence then you were personally insured. You obviously received misleading information from somebody.

The limit insured for personal injury seems to be €2500 and there is an excess on the claim. Might cover a week or two out of work or hospital and some physio but not suitable for self employed.
    Not sure how loss of earnings is compensated or if it even is.
    well thats good info to late for me though:)
    but i reckon if a lad is going to hand money over to whoever then he should get a copy of what he is insured against in case of accident to be sure to be sure.
    me i wouldn't bother i ride solo these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Great turn of phrase OP, that genuinely brought a smile to my face, thanks

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Great turn of phrase OP, that genuinely brought a smile to my face, thanks
    You are most welcome!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,716 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You are most welcome!
    Hallelujah!!

At the end of the day I guess 20 Euro is worth any level of peace-of-mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I could never understand that nonsense written on their website. What if you are training, but popping down the shops to get a bottle of drink? You are not insured then?
    And if you are a commuter, it may be a perfect excuse for the insurer to turn around saying "you were commuting, not training".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Seweryn wrote: »
    I could never understand that nonsense written on their website. What if you are training, but popping down the shops to get a bottle of drink? You are not insured then?
    And if you are a commuter, it may be a perfect excuse for the insurer to turn around saying "you were commuting, not training".

I've asked for clarification on this a couple of times, but never gotten it. For what it's worth, I was involved in a collision in the middle of town one day, and the third party insurance covered the costs of the damage.

I was on the way to Sundrive, and while the policy does state "on the way to a training spin" is covered, they never asked for further evidence than my word - not if I was wearing lycra, nor GPS files (assuming you track your training, etc). So if you're training on your way to the shops/work, you should be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

What does "covered" mean? I could go read the CI website but I can't be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Raam wrote: »
    What does "covered" mean? I could go read the CI website but I can't be arsed.

In my case, third party cover - covered the costs of the repairs to the car I hit. In the region of €1,700 IIRC.

I didn't use them for medical expenses though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement