Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children treated in Cork for poisoning connected to e-cigarettes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Yeah, nicotine is widely available in different forms; tobacco products, patches, gums, tablets, sprays, inhalers, eliquids, etc. As with any potentially dangerous poison they should be stored safely and kept out of reach of children. That's why eliquids have safety caps and warnings, and often the raised warning notice. This is all just basic common sense.

The point in the second article is a little hysterical. Nicotine is not to nicotine what methadone is to heroin. E-liquids aren't a replacement for nicotine, e-cigarettes are an alternative safer method of delivering nicotine to the bloodstream. They appeal specifically to smokers/ex-smokers as a less health damaging alternative. But yeah, keep the stuff sealed and out of reach of kids and make sure to wipe any drips when refilling as it can be absorbed through the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

F-Stop wrote: »
    Yeah, nicotine is widely available in different forms; tobacco products, patches, gums, tablets, sprays, inhalers, eliquids, etc. As with any potentially dangerous poison they should be stored safely and kept out of reach of children.

Yes....but for the most part all of the above do not have brightly colored sweet smelling containers/packaging.

The e-cigarette industry needs to be the leader in self regulation before general hysteria descends upon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Yes....but for the most part all of the above do not have brightly colored sweet smelling containers/packaging.

The e-cigarette industry needs to be the leader in self regulation before general hysteria descends upon it.

1. Already happening re: general hysteria. I had cousins post this Examiner "story" to FB tonight, each one a smoker - dumb as fuck.

2. No amount of post-nannying will stop idiots from being idiots. The industry is far from ideal (so, so far, yet so close) but despite it's failures every single fault in these cases lies with the parent. If you have a poison in your possession don't leave it around your kids. Every nanogram of nicotine imbibed is the parent's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Whatever they smell or look like, it's simple - the majority of bottles clearly state to keep it away from children and that it's toxic if ingested. Parents should be keeping it well out of reach of children. I wouldn't leave a sweet tasting, brightly packaged bottle of Alcohol (blue wkd or bacardi breezer spring to mind) where kids could get them, and nor would most parents. Similar cop on should be used with products containing nicotine.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭accaguest

Chris Luke, based at Cork’s Mercy University Hospital, said the e-cigarette craze was “worryingly reminiscent” of the mushrooming of head shops four years ago.

Oh bollocks, that's a Joe Duffy leader right there.

How exactly is a Doctor qualified to state an opinion like that anyway. Magic mushrooms = E Cigarettes because, you know, they're both mad things. Idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

accaguest wrote: »
    Oh bollocks, that's a Joe Duffy leader right there.
    How exactly is a Doctor qualified to state an opinion like that anyway. Magic mushrooms = E Cigarettes because, you know, they're both mad things. Idiot.

This is the same doctor who was quoted as saying Greed = Cocaine.

He's a fucking know-nothing (about this subject) sensationalist. I have zero qualifications and I can talk about these matters in a more balanced way. That should be worrying. It worries me because this man treats people.

People read "Dr." and see "qualified" but never question what makes him qualified to assert this mountain of bullshit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

There is an article in the new York times this week discussing the dangers of vaping liquid. Their view was that the liquid is highly toxic and should be kept away from humans. But overall the paper is very positive about the benefits of e cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

To me it's seems that there is a little bit of agenda setting going in in the media, drip feeding and highlighting certain stories that suit the hegemonic order until we all accept that those damn e cigs just ain't safe as common sense.

It sickens me really. There is a mentality of moral outrage encouraged by the meeja that goes hand in hand with the 'will someone please tell me what to do- I don't want to be responsible- I don't want to have to think for myself' brigade that further these agendas, thereby leaving all responsibility and as a result power in the hands of the powerful ala Antonio Gramsci.

Just as an aside - aren't most household cleaners brightly coloured and sweet and fruity smelling? Bet they're not good for you either. Damn they should be locked up too!

Just my 2c and not having a go at anyone here - frustrated that something that has added pleasure, health and time to my life may be removed through ignorance fear and above all moral corruption.

Rant over. Hup

EDIT

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭accaguest

I suppose it's out of their hands anyway thankfully. This is going to be an EU-wide decision isn't it?

Hopefully they'll bring a bit of maturity to the discussion. Vaping's here to stay. Even since the turn of the year the growth has been phenomenal, people I know who had no interest at all suddenly went out and got a kit. All were glad they did even if they still have some smokes.

C'mon you continentals, we know you love the ciggies. Switch to vaping and get it sorted at least half-decently. Then we can go online and keep on unbothered :D

EDIT: Ah, bit of rant there. After finding a vaping set-up I'm really happy with I'd hate to see it become prohibited somehow. There should without question be a rational and serious debate about vaping. But this isn't a debate at all. This is irresponsible, unquestioning and misleadingly presented under the guise of analysis. I hate to be 'it's PC gone mad' but this is just dumb. Because it's easier and less exertive to be dumb and then the writers/broadcasters/experts can get their piece done and dusted in no time at all and be back home for tea. Can't the Oscar Pistorious trial or David Moyes' woes or something do this instead. FFS.

• Advertisement

I don't care if the little bottles smell like rainbows fornicating with unicorns - I keep them out of reach of my daughter and that is my responsibility. If they do get into her hands it will be my fault, not the store I bought them from, or the people on this forum, or whatever colour they happen to be. Yes, nicotine is a potentially dangerous chemical, and if I choose to have it in my home then I am responsible for that, whether it's patches or gum or a pack of smokes or a bottle of liquid.

Advertisement