Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound - Draft regulations for public comment

Options
  • 27-03-2014 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

Can be seen here

Note in particular - building are to proposed be tested to demonstrate their acoustic / sound insulation performance

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,102 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

4Sticks wrote: »
    Can be seen here

Note in particular - building are to proposed be tested to demonstrate their acoustic / sound insulation performance

well needed at this stage.

we have the hilarious situation currently where there are two methods to comlpy

1. you build in accordance with the example specifications provided in the guidance; or
    2. you test afterwards and check to make sure levels are suitable in range

I have seen a situation where construction was in accordance with specification provided and yet FAILED the decibel test afterward.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

It's disappointing that there is no requirement for improved acoustic performance of the external envelope, particularly in urban and city/town centre areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,174 ✭✭✭✭DvB

sydthebeat wrote: »
    well needed at this stage.

we have the hilarious situation currently where there are two methods to comlpy

1. you build in accordance with the example specifications provided in the guidance; or
    2. you test afterwards and check to make sure levels are suitable in range

I have seen a situation where construction was in accordance with specification provided and yet FAILED the decibel test afterward.

Ditto.
    & for that reason Testing really is a must at this stage IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

DvB wrote: »
    Ditto.
    & for that reason Testing really is a must at this stage IMO.

So, if you build in accordance with a specification, and then it fails a test, then what ?
    Who's going to pick up the tab to fix ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Subscribers Posts: 41,102 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

galwaytt wrote: »
    So, if you build in accordance with a specification, and then it fails a test, then what ?
    Who's going to pick up the tab to fix ??

In the example I know of, the cost was split between the developer and the house purchaser who had the complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

sydthebeat wrote: »
    In the example I know of, the cost was split between the developer and the house purchaser who had the complaint.

Sure, but in that case it was mutually agreed.

Under new SI though, will that be shoved back on to the Architect ? If his spec fails.....

Either way, this is going to add cost. ...I suspect the likes of echek board will become more common

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement