Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLEASE HELP!!!! lost laptop

Options
  • 27-03-2014 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I was wondering if you could help me. I am a PhD researcher. I was out in Dublin on the 12th March after a conference in Trinity. We went to the bar 37 Dawson Street and I got a taxi to my sister's home in Clontarf around midnight. It was only when I got in the door that I realised that I had misplaced my schoolbag and LAPTOP with A LOT of PhD related data on it. I am a doctor and my research is on breast cancer and there is a huge amount of information on the computer. It is not in the bar as per phone calls so I believe I left it in the back of the taxi. I didn't get any of the details of the car at all but it was an Irish driver (v nice man). I rang the gardai and there has been nothing handed in so far.
    I am devastated and feel like a complete twat and was wondering if you could put a shout out to try and recover it for me.
    The bag is a standard sized schoolbag, mostly black with red pattern on the front. The laptop is a compaq and is ancient and battered. There was little else in the bag except a pair of flat shoes and some paper.
    The laptop is worth nothing in monetary terms but is priceless in terms of workload.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

I was going to suggest the Carriage office which used to deal with lost property in taxis but see that its not open anymore.

http://garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=100&Lang=1

Have you tried ringing all the different garda stations in the city centre?

Best of luck in getting it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Just restore from your backup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hugh_C wrote: »

The OP hasn't mentioned a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Most taxi drivers leave lost items into store street garda station, ring there.

did you use hailo to hail the cab perchance? if yes, they can text the driver you got to ring you.

best of luck I hope it turns up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Hugh_C wrote: »

Can we stick to the question at hand please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Go back into the bar and ask to speak to someone in charge and explain the situation. Had a friend in a similar situation except his bag contained a hard drive with all his data. The place in question originally told him nothing was left behind, only when he called in and harassed them a bit did they properly look and was there.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

You could give http://lost.ie a try. Maybe someone posted it up there.

Full disclaimer, it's my site.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Did you get the taxi off the road or from a rank, there are a few ranks in that area if you got it off the road, maybe ask a couple of the drivers at the ranks if they heard of any driver finding your laptop.

Advertisement