Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with flying/anxiety/emetophobia

Options
  • 26-03-2014 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys, just wondering if I could get some help with something.

Honestly I've no idea where to start so I'll just tell you everything.
    I have a huge fear of vomit. Me vomiting, people around me vomiting, the smell, everything. It's gotten so bad that I avoid doing things such as going to clubs, getting on public transport, visiting people in hospital etc because of it. The last time I was on a plane was last summer and even though it was only a three hour flight I had a panic attack before hand and couldn't breath. The reason for this? I didn't mind the whole flying aspect but I was petrified that I would catch a bug on the plane or I'd get travel sick or someone else around me would.
    My problem is that I'm suppose to fly with my family to Florida (a ten hour flight) in two months and I'm freaking out. I hope to get valium, but will that make me feel sicker? Or maybe a sleeping pill, but would that guarantee me to be asleep for the full flight? And would any medication make me get sick?

What Im asking is if anyone has any tips, or stories about past experience that may help me. If I can take valium/xanax/a sleeping pill? Or if there is anything else I could do.

All help is very welcome.
    Thanks a million,
    Orlagh.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Talk to your GP. They should be able to prescribe something to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Pills will and do only mask the particular problem .
    The OP or anyone suffering with a phobia or anxiety needs to address what exactly is the root cause of the problem .

• Registered Users Posts: 4 orlaghd

I agree, I do need to find the root of the problem. But that wont happen before I have to fly. Is there any medication you recommend?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

orlaghd wrote: »
    I agree, I do need to find the root of the problem. But that wont happen before I have to fly. Is there any medication you recommend?

Its breaking the charter rules to recommend or discuss medications I'm afraid, so its not allowed. Please discuss your options with your GP.

The very best of luck with your holiday - i hope its a lovely one and that your issues dont impact on it much.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭stephenamccann

i have never seen anybody get sick on a plane so no need to worry about those around you. Maybe a sleeping pill is the way to go...only concern yourself with yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement