Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Link - Advice

Options
  • 26-03-2014 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

I have some outbuildings and a small cabin some 500m away from our main house. I mainly use them as an office and workshop. Recently we've upgraded our security systems at the main house but I've noticed that the outbuildings are quite isolated. The plan is now to install networked security cameras in the area around the cabin.

I guess what I'm asking is what is the most appropriate way to link the outbuildings to the main house. I've been doing some research and this seems to be just the ticket http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=JCETP-TL-WA7510N What I intend to do is buy a pair of these and create a wireless link. Thankfully, we do have clear line of sight. The office in the outbuilding currently has its own voice telephone line, but after I install this I intend to also use it to bring the house broadband to the outbuildings and go for a VOIP set up as well as a down link for the cameras.

The main house is currently on a rather unreliable internet connection (imagine wireless) and I'm thinking of going back to DSL or a fixed wireless provider. So if I were to go with Fixed wireless, would such a device degrade my internet connection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Two of those should work if you have line of sight, but the equivalent Ubiquiti equipment is far better in my experience.

It shouldn't have any impact on your FWA if that's the route you go down.

Advertisement