Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3/4" Socket Set

Options
  • 26-03-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a 3/4" socket set suitable for around the farm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

have a couple of sets of "king tony" half and three quarter inch good stuff and not crazy money, try howden tools in cavan he is keen and delivers

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EpicPothole

i can second the King Tony stuff. Good gear and best value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

We use DRAPER EXPERT here. Never failed us and no overly expensive either.
    As far as i know there is lifetime gaurantee with them also

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭case956tom

another +1 for king tony have a 1/2" and a 3/4" set, both bought from howdens.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭fawlty towers

Thanks for the advice lads.

Should one go for a 6 corner or 12 corner set?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Thanks for the advice lads.

Should one go for a 6 corner or 12 corner set?

Always 6! So a mechanic friend tells me. You never see a 12 sided nut I suppose, 6 would have a stronger fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

For small stuff 12 side is more versatile and easier to use.

Air impact tools are recommended to be six sided, heavy duty is also six sided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

I'd go 6 myself, I find using 12 side one's means you're more likely to round the edges of a nut that's siezed of tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

little bit off topic, have a 1/2 inch set for general tooling around, need something to tackle stubborn tractor and trailer wheelnuts...go 3/4 or 1inch drive? type?..what socket sizes commonly rerquired for wheels?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

131spanner wrote: »
    I'd go 6 myself, I find using 12 side one's means you're more likely to round the edges of a nut that's siezed of tight.

12sided get them funny bolt heads on the back end of modern mf's and 6 sided fit torex heads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Bought a set of 1" drive teng tools about ten years ago. Cost about €400 but I do honestly believe in buy once and buy right.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭DanielGibbons

Bought a set of 1" drive teng tools about ten years ago. Cost about €400 but I do honestly believe in buy once and buy right.

I'd be inclined to agree...

... until some fecker breaks in and adds them to his own collection rolleyes.png

Advertisement