Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White or Ivory dress.. which did You go for?

Options
  • 26-03-2014 8:29pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just out of interest..

What colour dress did you go for or do you plan to have? White or Ivory, or indeed something else altogether?

I went with ivory because I thought the dress just looked really nice in ivory but I had planned to go with white.

Also, all of the dresses in the shops I went to were ivory.. I know they're only samples and liable to stain etc.. so the ivory is to probably to disguise all the sweat and makeup marks.. but I asked the lady in the last place I was in and she told me that ivory is generally what most go for these days when ordering their gowns.

Is she right?

What colour dress did you choose? 39 votes

White
    0% 0 votes
    Ivory
    12% 5 votes
    Champaign
    82% 32 votes
    Something else
    5% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I went with gold. Always assumed it'd be white or ivory but fell in love with a gold one so that was that!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I went with a dusky pale rose colour. I saw the dress on a mannequin on the shop's webpage and myself and my mum were laughing going "who'd wear that, the state of it" and when we went for appointment they asked would I like to try it on. I thought it'd be a good laugh but when it was on I absolutely fell in love with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I went with ivory, the sales girl said she found foreign girls tended to go for white as it suited their skin tone better whereas ivory seems to suit the irish skin tone.
    Dunno how true that is, the dress I fell in love with just happened to be ivory.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

I hadn't a clue but like Ms2011 the dress I fell in love with was ivory so that's what I wore. I'm super pale though so I think white white would have made me look like Casper!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I had a cream coloured dress. It was always what I had planned. I knew I would never in a million years wear white as it is ghastly on me. Makes me look quite anaemic.

I tried a chardonnay colour which was fabulous in relation to my skin tone but I went for the cream overall because it felt more wedding(y)! at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I went for white. I have olive tones to my skin so I feel it suited me. If I had paler skin I probably would have gone with ivory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Like the others in this thread, I think ivory or off white colours look best on pale skin with cool undertones and those with warmer sallow skin can pull off the pure white. Although it depends on the person and the dress really.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ivory - I'm incredibly pale at the best of times so white would just make me look like a walking corpse!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

I'm really interested in the comments here.

I've been considering ordering a dress online and it's so hard to know what colour to pick! I mostly wear black/navy/grey, so I don't have a lot of experience wearing white or cream. I have tried on some dresses, but the one I loved the most was actually a short, blush pink, bridesmaids dress (tried on for fun)! I'd love a 50s style (maybe boat neck), knee-length or tea-length dress, but there doesn't seem to be any options locally to try on and see what suits.

I have dark brown hair and I'm pretty pale. I have one cream top (which doesn't seem to wash me out) and nothing white.

Is it a general rule that ivory is better for paler-skinned ladies? I had considered white as it does seem to be a few shades further away from my skin tone than cream!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

I'm going with black and white, not white with a lil bit of black, more like 50/50. I'm just not the block colour white/ivory type of girl lol. Found a gorgeous dress online that i'm planning ordering from one of the recommended replica online stores :D I was originally going with purple and white but just can't find the right shade lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

my SIL had a 50/50 black and white dress, the bodice was black and the skirt was ivory. She's quite pale and didn't want the white next to her skin, it looked great.
    I am also dark skinned, but I actually found the white garish against my skin and didn't like it like I thought I would. I went with ivory because it was more mellow I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I went with ivory. White looked kind of dirty against my skin.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I went with cream lace over ivory. So its kind of inbetween those colours I suppose, but it really suits my skin tone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The weirdest thing happened when I went dress shopping. I have pink, pale skin and light blonde hair so I assumed ivory would be best. The woman in the shop agreed. But when I tried on a white dress, my friends all gasped and couldn't believe how much it suited me! So I think I might go for white in the end. It's really hard when all the dresses are ivory though, it feels like taking a huge risk to order it in in a different colour without seeing it in person first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Faith wrote: »
    The weirdest thing happened when I went dress shopping. I have pink, pale skin and light blonde hair so I assumed ivory would be best. The woman in the shop agreed. But when I tried on a white dress, my friends all gasped and couldn't believe how much it suited me! So I think I might go for white in the end. It's really hard when all the dresses are ivory though, it feels like taking a huge risk to order it in in a different colour without seeing it in person first.

A friend of mine also has typical Irish pale skin but wore pure white and it looked amazing on her, much better than the ivory! It definitely suits some people better, pale or not. Go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Being black with yellow undertones to my skin, white did not look good on me at all! I went for an ivory dress which was much more flattering to my complexion.

If I hadn't decided to change my colour scheme, I would've gone with a gold dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I thought I ordered a "white" dress, checked my receipt after someone asked me, turns out it's ivory!! I can't tell the difference to be honest.

I didn't even know until I went dress shopping that there's so many different shades of white and ivory....

Pale ivory, dark ivory, diamond white (which looks like ivory), champagne (which can look like ivory), dazzling white. Thank God I went shopping in one shop for a dress, and left it at that. I would've been driven mad else!

I can't tell the difference either, not unless they're right beside each other and then white really stands out as bright beside ivory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I didn't even know until I went dress shopping that there's so many different shades of white and ivory....

Pale ivory, dark ivory, diamond white (which looks like ivory), champagne (which can look like ivory), dazzling white. Thank God I went shopping in one shop for a dress, and left it at that. I would've been driven mad else!

That must be what happened to me, it must be some sort of pale ivory. I am looking for shoes and everything that is "ivory" looks much darker than the dress :confused: It is so hard to look for shoes when the dress isn't in front of you.

• Advertisement

Call the designer of the dress and ask for a fabric sample. That's what I did...

agreed, I got one of the satin and another of the lace being used...

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

I went with white but it was on the advice of the sales assistant that I did as ivory would have been my original choice! I have blonde hair, blue eyes and a pale rosey quality (nice way of saying I'm a pasty Irish person). I had ivory on in the dress I chose which I felt was lovely and she said to try the white and the difference was amazing; it sort of lifted my complexion and made the pale look interesting and beautiful instead of something to cover/conceal.

Advertisement