Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wagtails and their gearboxes

Options
  • 26-03-2014 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Spreader l have at the moment is on it's last legs so looking at changing.

Looking through done deal descriptions and even old posts on here, it appears that the gearboxes give trouble. Is this right? Are they a bad design for a spreader or what's the story??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Muckit wrote: »
    Spreader l have at the moment is on it's last legs so looking at changing.

Looking through done deal descriptions and even old posts on here, it appears that the gearboxes give trouble. Is this right? Are they a bad design for a spreader or what's the story??

Vicon 1 tonne spreader here 20+ years only needed bearings last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

What kind of spreader have you got? What age is it?

Dunno about the gearboxes on wagtail spreaders being any worse than other spreader types for failing. We have an Abbey here (Vicon copy) for the past 9 years with no problem. I do wash and grease regularly though. Before that we had a Vicon bought second hand and only traded that in coz it was a little small.

I always found that trying to mind the hopper and the tip of the spout at the back was a bigger issue than the gearbox?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

I had the same issue last year and went looking round for a gearbox. I kept getting the same answer that the older vicons had a far superior gearbox than the newer ones. i ended up selling my own and bought a second hand rauch spreader, so far so good anyway. ive the fertiliser ready to go here a while now its only a matter of time now and it should be back in full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Cosmo spreaders have old vicon gearbox, good yoke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Anyone come across BMC spreader

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

Normally a dealer taking in a second hand wagtail will price in a new set of bearings. They mightn't always change them but most I think allow for it as its a fairly standard job on them. Most will go for years but if you're buying a second hand yoke you need to keep the parts and labour in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Are the difficult to repair, at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Are the difficult to repair, at home.

No

Advertisement