Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corkagh Park Race

Options
  • 26-03-2014 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Has anyone got any details or experience of this race? It's on the CI calendar for mid-April. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

Has anyone got any details or experience of this race? It's on the CI calendar for mid-April. Thanks!

What date? Under what title?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

Cannot find it on the CI calendar. Thought it might be the Orwell Ladies league but that seems to be Sandyford.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,757 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Presumably this over the Easter weekend although to confuse matters it seems to be in the leisure events list!

Beasty wrote: »
    Presumably this over the Easter weekend although to confuse matters it seems to be in the leisure events list!

Will there be food stops?

It must be a novelty event! Guess who can participate and then guess again for sign on and start times. They give a date though to make sure everyone has a fair chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭QueensGael

ragazzo wrote: »
    Cannot find it on the CI calendar. Thought it might be the Orwell Ladies league but that seems to be Sandyford.

The Orwell women's league will be moving out of Sandyford this year, and will have three rounds (of six) in Corkagh, details tbc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

QueensGael wrote: »
    The Orwell women's league will be moving out of Sandyford this year, and will have three rounds (of six) in Corkagh, details tbc

It is described as a road race but is colour coded as a leisure event. I liked the idea of trying a road race not on regular roads.

Have CI done the pdf calendar this year?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,757 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It is described as a road race but is colour coded as a leisure event. I liked the idea of trying a road race not on regular roads.
    The races can certainly be a little intense, but that circuit is a great place to dip your toes into racing

There's a calendar of women's only events available here - it should be pretty up-to-date (and if not, tell me and I'll change it)

http://womenscycling.ie/calendar/

@changepartners, would love to see you at the Orwell Women's League! There will two groups, one for new racers, and one for experience folk, so you'll be competing against people of a similar ability. Details are being locked down at the moment, but there should be an announcement here when it's all set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

@changepartners, would love to see you at the Orwell Women's League!

I would love to be able to take part in a women's league but I think the ladies would take a dim view!

I didn't realise that was a women's race, it isn't clear on the CI calendar. I thought it was a men's race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

The races can certainly be a little intense, but that circuit is a great place to dip your toes into racing

There are too many corners for newbies to be taken at speed in a big group. Yes there is no traffic but I wouldn't think it's an ideal place for someone to start racing. You can easily wipe a group by overcutting a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

AstraMonti wrote: »
    There are too many corners for newbies to be taken at speed in a big group. Yes there is no traffic but I wouldn't think it's an ideal place for someone to start racing. You can easily wipe a group by overcutting a corner.

Yes this could happen, but only the riders would be affected. Where would you suggest a beginner starts racing?

On an open road, there are oncoming cars, pedestrians etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Corkagh Park is more sweeping bends than tight corners and it's rare you need to break into them. For sure, like any crit it rewards those who can corner well, but it's almost impossible to wipe out on the bends. Definitely a great place to start racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Yes this could happen, but only the riders would be affected. Where would you suggest a beginner starts racing?

On an open road, there are oncoming cars, pedestrians etc.

Sundrive track.

For the women's races, there are usually smaller groups (about 10-15 riders), and they're split by ability. So new racers tend not be caught in big bunches at high speed. We only had one crash there in during the summer over 14 nights * 2 races per night, and that was on a straight stretch, not a corner. If you do over-manoeuvre at a corner, you'll likely end up on the grass, which is much preferable to the kerb/wall/car/ped you could meet on the open road.

IMHO (and I'll admit to being biased), Corkagh Park is the ideal way to start bike racing.

@changepartners, sorry for the confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Where would you suggest a beginner starts racing?

I am not saying it's a bad place to race, it's very good, I am only saying for a complete amateur the bends can be daunting and tricky, especially if you have never raced in a bunch and you don't know how to position yourself. I think the courses around Brittas that orwell uses for club racing is a better option in terms of introducing someone to racing, straight lines, few bends, not many cars/pedestrians. Again, just a personal view, nothing more.

There's a calendar of women's only events available here - it should be pretty up-to-date (and if not, tell me and I'll change it)

http://womenscycling.ie/calendar/

@changepartners, would love to see you at the Orwell Women's League! There will two groups, one for new racers, and one for experience folk, so you'll be competing against people of a similar ability. Details are being locked down at the moment, but there should be an announcement here when it's all set.

Agreed.
    Corkagh Park is a proper racing circuit suitable for novices. Perfect rolling surfaces and grass areas to either side. Bends that would only catch one out if the speed was very high and one was burying it. This, by definition, would probably not be the case in a beginners race.

Large groups would not really be an option in Corkagh. Thirty or forty probably being a safe maximum.
    In most beginners races (men, women or mixed) a small field would be more likely to pin on numbers. Corkagh is an excellent venue for racing novices as it teaches some cornering skills too, in addition to its other benefits.

Hope to get up to it again in 2014!

Should cover all bases so - TT, road and crit. Hot off the presses for y'all!

http://womenscycling.ie/orwell-crit-league-starts-tuesday-8th-april-batterstown-tt/

(sorry harrybelafonte, no track in this line-up :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I'm looking into organising some kind of beginners/A4/A3 races in Corkagh. Unsure of the format at the moment (need to talk to my club too) I emailed CI a couple of days ago with dates and a couple of questions so hopefully I'll hear back soon and then have more news.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Should cover all bases so - TT, road and crit. Hot off the presses for y'all!

http://womenscycling.ie/orwell-crit-league-starts-tuesday-8th-april-batterstown-tt/

Morning QueensGael, venerable Mods.... I wonder would it be possible / worthwhile to start a new thread for this, from this post / with this post?.... something that tags it for what it is... say: 6 week women's league, ideal for beginners to racing!

• Advertisement

Morning QueensGael, venerable Mods.... I wonder would it be possible / worthwhile to start a new thread for this, from this post / with this post?.... something that tags it for what it is... say: 6 week women's league, ideal for beginners to racing!

I was just about to do this. :)

buffalo wrote: »
    I was just about to do this. :)

In case anyone's following this thread, it's now up at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057178094

Advertisement