Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do I stop chocolate from blushing

Options
  • 26-03-2014 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, i hope someone can help me!
    i've recently started making cake pops. I have been dipping and decorating them using dark, milk and white chocolate and have noticed that once the chocolate has set, it has lots of white dots and smears all over it (I was told this is called 'blushing'?!?). it happens when i colour white chocolate too (i've used colouring pastes and liquids). how can i stop this from happening?! i've tried everything i can think of.
    please help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I've heard of the white coating on untempered chocolate called 'bloom'. You need to temper it, otherwise it will never become glossy. Simple guide here http://candy.about.com/od/candybasics/ht/temperchoc.htm
    I'm sure it can be done without a thermometer too if necessary but I haven't tried that method.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hailey.farrell

Thanks a million!
    I didn't realise you needed tempered chocolate for this. It doesn't say so in any demo I've seen for cake pops.
    I'll give it a shot. Cheers 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I think 'candy melts' are often used for cake pops, a bit like cooking chocolate but available in colours etc. When I made cake pops I covered them in sprinkles because I was too lazy to temper the chocolate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭phormium

It's bloom on the chocolate. Use something pre tempered like Becolade from Stuff4cakes.ie. For white the Homecook white chocolate cake covering (not really chocolate!) is not bad, not as nice as real white chocolate but every bit as good as candy melts, can be coloured too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hailey.farrell

I'll give the homecook stuff a try too. Cheers!

I've tried candy melts too but they're quite thick. That might have to do though ðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭phormium

Add a little cooking oil to thin down the candy melts or any chocolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Tempering chocolate can be done even easier than that guide. Just barely melt 3/4 of your chocolate chips in the microwave, and stir in the unmelted. Done.

Advertisement