Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smoking and drink

Options
  • 26-03-2014 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

It's been 70 days since I had my last sober cigarette! Mostly I feel great and rarely think of smoking at all, bar the odd craving which passes just as quick as it happens.

Sadly though I have had a few cigarettes while drinking :( As I said, I don't care about smoking when sober but as soon as I have a few drinks, all I want is a cigarette.

Has anyone for any tips or advice? Festival season is also coming up, it's gonna be so tough cos I've always associated smoking with being outside and smoking while listening to music.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

I always thought if you`d pass non smoking when drunk, after intercourse nd a very good meal, then you are good to go, off the puff.

Smoking is either yes or no. I quit myself years ago for over a year, and I am nearing quitin again.
    My journey came to a stop
    Power of refusal.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭dersawazzie

The best advice I can offer is don't go out for a drink thinking you are going to smoke tonight because you are having a drink. I always associated drinking with smoking so I had a decision to make over Christmas. I would be having a few jars on Christmas and with no access to ciggies on that wonderful day would it turn me into a madman, so should I buy some just in case ?

My other half was fully supportive of whatever choice I made. Obviously she wanted me to stay off them but on the other hand wanted to enjoy the day without me in a cranky mood.

I decided to not have them around, it would be too easy to have one. How did it go ? Well I did think about them but it didn't dictate my day or mood. Not having them around is an easy way of not having one !

Peoples personalities will have the biggest impact on how they react I suspect. To this day I still believe if you are giving up, give up, but if you have a slip don't beat yourself up over it. Just keep at it, the craving will become less, and your mind will forget the link.

Best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I had to stop drinking. Ive been off the cigarettes over two years (except last week I had 2 before an exam). I found that I could never quit when I was drinking and smoking so unfortunately I made the decision to stop drinking and then the quitting smoking part was easy.

I had to drop all my smoking triggers. Esentially drinking and hanging out with chain smokers for a while. There were a few exceptions such as after sex and after MacGyver. For them I just bring gum.

TL/DR

Remove the triggers then quit smoking. Two years later and I couldnt picture going out on the tear and not having a box of fags.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

I have managed for the most part to quit smoking while drinking. I have gone out on about 6 mad ones since quitting (about 6 weeks ago) and bar one night where I had ONE rollie, I was good to go. What kept me going is that I would start to think about how I can do everything I am doing on a night out - chat to people, drink, dance - without a cigarette. I can literally do all these things, have the EXACT same night out just without cigarettes. When you're drunk and chatting to yer mates who are smoking and the craving kicks in, just think "I can continue having this conversation and it will lead to the exact same outcome, WITHOUT a cigarette. The only thing a cigarette will add to this conversation is regret the day after, more nicotine in my system and tar in my lungs". When I was finding it hard, I would just leave the smoking area and go for a dance or maybe a walk, or just buy another pint!

I know it's hard to be rational when you're drunk but just think like this throughout the day and really remind yourself when you're drunk. What will a cigarette offer me? Nothing. You can still have a great night out with your friends, you can still get as drunk as you want you can still have the chats you can do EVERYTHING the exact same way. Smoking a cigarette will, like I said, lead to nothing but regret and cancer!

I'm still not 100% confident in myself that I've quit but I feel like I have. Festival season is probably going to be the biggest challenge to be honest, but if I can go ONE festival without smoking a cigarette I will pretty much have considered myself a non-smoker.

I will tell you one thing - if you manage to go drinking one night and not have a cigarette, it gets way way easier the next few times. The only reason I smoked that one cigarette was because I had drunk an unholy amount of rum (around a litre, woops!) and had gotten into a ridiculous argument with someone and was stressed afterwards.

It is possible - just think of what life was like before cigarettes. Did the Romans need a fag when they went on mad wine and orgy benders? :P Cigarettes are an extremely unnatural product created by man not for your enjoyment but for MONEY for big corporations. The only reason you want one is because nicotine in your system is telling you want one.

Remember, never give up giving up!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 GeorgeSlate

Its all upto you that how tough you are towards quitting the smoke. While drinking also don't keep cigarette near you, through out all the packets of cigarette out of your house. In festive season stay in home celebrate with your family and don't go anywhere unless you does not prepare yourself to quit smoking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Spearsharp

Why are alcohol and tobacco always connected? Even sex!

Advertisement