Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin wheel magnets / GSC 10 sensor

Options
  • 26-03-2014 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭

I recently got a new set of wheels, and want to be able to change them ‘at-will’ without taking the Garmin spoke magnet off the old set and on to the new. Does anybody know if any magnet on wheels will work on the GSC-10? I have an old Cateye speedometer, so would the wheel magnet on that do?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Yes, it's just a magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

quozl wrote: »
    Yes, it's just a magnet.

Thanks wasn't sure if there was anything specific to the sensor on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Thanks wasn't sure if there was anything specific to the sensor on it

Nothing apart from the cost ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Apparently if it's a Southern Hemisphere magnet it won't work well in northern hemisphere countries as it's aligned to the South Pole. Best checking its a North Pole magnet. Chances are you'll get negative speed readings.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apparently if it's a Southern Hemisphere magnet it won't work well in northern hemisphere countries as it's aligned to the South Pole. Best checking its a North Pole magnet. Chances are you'll get negative speed readings.
    Yeah, but that also opens up a whole new hemispehere of Strava segment opportunities at the same time;)

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Kildafornia

You can buy a spare magnet for around a tenner, pony up and treat your wheels right!

Beasty wrote: »
    Yeah, but that also opens up a whole new hemispehere of Strava segment opportunities at the same time;)

:D

Negiments. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Aldi/Lidl bike computers have one of these included, and the whole thing will cost all of sick squid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭youtheman

On the subject of magnets, bought the following cadence magnet, it's the dog's gonads. No need for cable tie which only collects dirt. Very neat installation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Icarus-NEW-Cadence-Magnets-for-Felt-AR-DA-B2-B16-F1-F2-F3-Edict-Nine-/281129347150?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:IE:3160

Also bought a spoke blade magnet from them, but it didn't work properly so I had to reinstate the Garmin spoke magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

youtheman wrote: »
    On the subject of magnets, bought the following cadence magnet, it's the dog's gonads. No need for cable tie which only collects dirt. Very neat installation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Icarus-NEW-Cadence-Magnets-for-Felt-AR-DA-B2-B16-F1-F2-F3-Edict-Nine-/281129347150?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:IE:3160

how is that magnet held in place? glued? e.g. I have Look KEO pedals. If i needed to remove the pedals, I'd have to be able to remove that magnet?

• Advertisement

The magnet just sticks (with magnetic field) to the end of the pedal spindle. The o.d. is exactly the right size for the recess in the crank, so no fore and aft movement. I thought I might have to add some super glue, but no need. I tried to remove the magnet by hand, with no joy. It's very secure. If I have to remove it then I'll just have to prise it off with a flate bladed screwdriver. Trust me, best piece of kit for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

The magnet just sticks (with magnetic field) to the end of the pedal spindle. The o.d. is exactly the right size for the recess in the crank, so no fore and aft movement. I thought I might have to add some super glue, but no need. I tried to remove the magnet by hand, with no joy. It's very secure. If I have to remove it then I'll just have to prise it off with a flate bladed screwdriver. Trust me, best piece of kit for the money.

I have the Garmin Magnet that sticks to the crank...still in place after 4 years with no zip tie safety net!

Here is a photo (hope this works).

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ken1975

You don't even need to buy new magnets online. Just extract the magnet from the Garmin cadence sensor (i used a pliers to break the plastic) and place it on the pedal axel. Job done. No gangly sensor stuck on the crank

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Also bought a spoke blade magnet from them, but it didn't work properly so I had to reinstate the Garmin spoke magnet.

bought two of them myself last night. cost half nothing

don't be taking the piss out of the poor guy. no such thing as negative speed readings. everyone knows that just as the water rotates in the toilet bowl in the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere that wheels down under rotate in the opposite direction, meaning you still get positive speed readings from the south pole magnets, even if used here.

I once nearly got sucked down a toilet in Australia due to having a North Pole magnet in my hand at the time and the South Pole vortex forces on the opposite direction flush. It's no laughing matter.

I once nearly got sucked down a toilet in Australia due to having a North Pole magnet in my hand at the time and the South Pole vortex forces on the opposite direction flush. It's no laughing matter.

agreed, highly dangerous situation. i read somewhere that there was supposed to be an international ad campaign to alert people to the danger, and to make everyone aware that the only remedy(quite obvious i would have thought but there you go) was to swim the backstroke in reverse. however, i've yet to see an ad for it, and honestly it's a disgrace given the severity of the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭JMcL

Need to be careful as well if it's a particularly strong magnet, it may well flip you over if you ever decided to cycle across the equator! A lad down the pub told me it happened to a colleague of a mate of a second cousin of his brother in law once, so must be true. Ah Fridays.....

An absolute disgrace. You're dead right. I was under the impression 'twas the breast stroke however. 'Twas deemed as being sexist maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Why bother with a wheel magnet in the first place. It only measures speed and the Garmin will do that using GPS, unless of course you do all your cycling in tunnels.

Muckers wrote: »
    Why bother with a wheel magnet in the first place. It only measures speed and the Garmin will do that using GPS, unless of course you do all your cycling in tunnels.

trainerroad uses the wheel magnet in it's power calculations.

Advertisement