Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double taping handlebars

Options
  • 26-03-2014 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone have any tips for double taping road bike handlebars? Anything to look out for compared with applying a single layer or just do it the same as normal? I don't want to end up with a messy job.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The obvious question.............why?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭paudie2005

The obvious question.............why?

Tour of flanders sportive next week...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

paudie2005 wrote: »
    Ah, I see. Enjoy.

I'm not sure how well the second tape will adhere to the first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Get the right tyres at the right pressure!

Vittoria Open Pave 24mm(also in 27mm) are what some pro use I believe

ford2600 wrote: »
    Get the right tyres at the right pressure!

Vittoria Open Pave 24mm(also in 27mm) are what some pro use I believe

Yes have the 24's on already! have been out on cobbles during the spring and the rattling coming through the tops is fairly tough so thats why I'm looking to double tape..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Yes have the 24's on already! have been out on cobbles during the spring and the rattling coming through the tops is fairly tough so thats why I'm looking to double tape..

From Sean Kelly via worldwidecyclesblog

1 : Pump your tyres – Every cyclist should have a track pump and should use it once a week to check the pressure in their tyres . The minimum pressure for a clincher tyre is 6 Bar or 85 psi whilst the maximum is 8 Bar or 120 psi . On very rough surfaces a lower pressure will have a cushioning effect but the trade-off is a slightly higher chance of a pinch flat ( Last year in the Paris Roubaix sportif Sean Kelly told us to ride 6.5 Bar in the back and 6 Bar on front – we had just one puncture between all of us for the day ). On very smooth surfaces a higher pressure will roll better and faster . Heavier riders should have slightly more pressure . In winter or in wet weather the pressure should be reduced slightly to give a little more grip . In general 7 Bar or 100 psi is a good guide if you are unsure .

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Bring plenty of grub! They give out these waffles and honey packets at the rest stops, which is grand but gets a bit sickening after so many hours. It's great craic, enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Double taping demo here:

http://youtu.be/lFY-J9FVo9s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/phat-wrap-padded-bar-tape-ec012114

Have this on two bikes now must say I really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I've done nothing special in double taping my bars. No issues. Unless extra comfort is an issue.

• Advertisement

QueensGael wrote: »
    Bring plenty of grub! They give out these waffles and honey packets at the rest stops, which is grand but gets a bit sickening after so many hours. It's great craic, enjoy it :)

Thanks for the tip, fingers crossed for the koppenberg to be dry!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

ah, the Koppenberg, that old beaut...
    you can read about our adventures on said hillock here - like Dickens, it was published in serial form, so you'll have to scroll down for the first installment :)

http://www.sttiernanscc.com/category/leisure/tour-of-flanders-2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

you can read about our adventures on said hillock here - like Dickens, it was published in serial form, so you'll have to scroll down for the first installment :)

Excellent read. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Having done Paris Roubaix, I can tell you that the double tape doesn't help like you hope it will!

That's a cracking read, mars bars and nutrigrain it is then!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Having done Paris Roubaix, I can tell you that the double tape doesn't help like you hope it will!

Perhaps but will be better than nothing...hopefully!!

Advertisement