Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little things that make you smile... in Games.

Options
  • 26-03-2014 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by the After Hours thread, what are the little things that made you smile recently in games? Little victories, small moments in games, etc.

I suggest keeping it recent (in the last week or two) - otherwise we'll get lots of "the day I finished game x, 25 years ago" posts, but it's up to you. :)

For me, some from the last week:

1. My first 3 star rating in 10 Second Ninja (took quite a few attempts!)
    2. Watching my 5 year old niece playing (and learning the mechanics) for Cut The Rope (figuring out how to get 3 stars).
    3. FINALLY getting the 384 tile in Threes (after 192 being my best tile for ages).
    4. Getting to the room with the wall of screens far too early in The Stanley Parable (very funny reaction from narrator)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Breaking the top 25 on one of DmC's leaderboards on Xbox Live round christmas. Felt damn good about that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Basically finding ANY bonfire in Dark Souls 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Little moments in games that make me smile, they generally don't relate to accomplishments, but more interactions between the characters.

From the last two weeks, example, a joke from Edi in Mass Effect 3.

Then again, I don't really play games to accomplish things, but for escapism and story a lot of the time.

Mind you, that time I wiped out three major continent-sized civs in a single turn in Civ 2 way back when brought a smile alright. Maybe a bit of an evil laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Seeing the PS1 boot up for the first time and the Demo 1 disc intro
    Finishing Super Mario World
    Beating Rainbow Road on Mario Kart
    FINALLY beating Ornstein & Smough on Dark Sous, solo too no co-op

countless ones to mention but those off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

This particular easter egg in Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag:

zlCfzRXifOg21tuU4Y

That put a huge grin on my face!

My name is Edward Kenway, and I want to be a pirate! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Little moments in games that make me smile, they generally don't relate to accomplishments, but more interactions between the characters.

From the last two weeks, example, a joke from Edi in Mass Effect 3.

Then again, I don't really play games to accomplish things, but for escapism and story a lot of the time.

Mind you, that time I wiped out three major continent-sized civs in a single turn in Civ 2 way back when brought a smile alright. Maybe a bit of an evil laugh.

Edi was disturbingly hot...

Oh and
    arrow to the knee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,162 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Knife kills in counter strike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That moment in a Platinum action game when the battle system clicks and you feel indestructible.

'Every day's great at your Junes!'

Discovering a old rare gem of a game you haven't hear about and then discovering how amazing it is.

Ninja Gaiden 2's gruesome dismemberments that felt so wrong yet so right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

- My gaming rig which starts up in less than 5 seconds (I love you SSD!)
    - Everytime i look into the corner of my sitting room and see [urk=http://imageshack.com/a/img853/6585/i08h.jpg]this[/url]
    - Playing Legacy of Kain
    - Fatalities in Mortal Kombat
    - Getting a game i've wanted for a while dirt cheap
    - Legion and Edi in Mass Effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The closet section in The Stanley Parable was just a sublime little touch; a totally irrelevant little segway that didn't affect anything, but its inclusion just made everything better. Actually, pretty much every minute of that game put a smile on my face.

Those wonderful moments in Planetside 2, or Titanfall, or any other shooter where you pull off an escape or a kill that just looks totally frickin' sweet, by pure chance. Other players standing around wondering at your leet skillz++, while you're so surprised at what happened you accidentally bunnyhop off a cliff...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

SEEEEEEGGGGGAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Hearing the opening music to all the old sonic tunes on the opening levels

Metal Gear Solid 3 snake eater title screen

Persona 3 junpei and akihiko greeting me at the door of the dorm

persona 4 ending

shenmue when ryo looking for sailors

yakuza games when Majima shows up :L

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Listening to some of the pedestrian dialogue in the GTA games.

Nothing like wandering around the streets and being caught off guard by something they said :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Twackin' out a sweet special/ultra counter having gotten decked the whole round in KoF or SF, then having the gutter to pretend it was deliberate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

"Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you."

Never fails. That and beating Real Madrid 4-0 to claim my fourth consecutive Liga title with Seville. It's been a good week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I used to play lemmings when i was wee and could never get passed the fun levels.. Recently got in on the vita and guess whos on taxing now? That has made me smile! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

just recently, playing Assassin's Creed III, I jumped off a horse and killed a bear. Fantastic. I then got a pop-up telling me I was in the top 50% of players jumping off horses and killing bears, which tells me that half the Wii U players have never done that... poor bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Finishing Portal 2 co-op with my daughter.

The last parts (and ending) of Red Dead Redemption. Realising how good a game it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Edi was disturbingly hot...

Oh and
    arrow to the knee

My favourite ones are any occasions in the Elder Scrolls games where a majorly tooled-up armoured tank of a character of mine gets stopped by a puny bandit and ordered to hand over my gold. "You picked on the wrong person today."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Capturing a city after a long sustained seige in Civilisation.
    The act of levelling up in most RPG's when you get to add new points to your stats

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Modded Skyrim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Oh, recent one. In AC IV, walking up to a bar to unlock it on some island and there's someone playing the fiddle and another the bodhrán and some Irish girl singing. That was amazing!

When I just read that King (the company behind Candy Crush)'s stock price has fallen dramatically. If any company deserved as such, it is definitely them.

On a more related note:
    The moment in Bioshock Infinite when Elizabeth and Booker have a song together.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The fight beginning at 13:00 minutes here:

In context this is Irelands best SF4 player against Englands (arguably) in a grand final in Dublin. Big moment for us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Coming in the top 5 in Ireland in chu chu rocket in a competition to be sent to a European chu chu rocket competition. My phone bill for those months for £400IRL.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Crossing from the US into Mexico In Red Dead Redemption.
    My first time hearing the theme music to DEAAATHHHH TITAN!
    Roberton 2084
    Finishing Descent
    Playing Ocarina of Time for the first time
    Seeing Mario and his giant noggin on an import N64

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Roberton 2084
    Tell us more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I used to play lemmings when i was wee and could never get passed the fun levels.. Recently got in on the vita and guess whos on taxing now? That has made me smile! :D

Reminds me of my sadistic side in Lemmings 2. In a practice level I think, I would just turn a lemming into super lemming, he'd follow the cursor everywhere, including up high and into a wall. :)
    That and hitting the nuke button.

On a brighter note, a lot of Lego City Undercover. So many moments to make me smile

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Getting the Big Boss emblem in MGS4, I needed to...

- Complete the game in less than 5 hours
    - Use no continues
    - Use no health items e.g. rations, regain, etc.
    - Kill no enemies
    - No alert phases
    - No special items
    - Complete the game on The Boss Extreme

The part on the motorbike almost drove me insane but the relief and joy when I completed it was very nice.

Beating Smough and Ornstein in Dark Souls for the first time. It didn't make me smile really, more like laugh while saying "Take that you fat bastard!"

Mass Effect 3's Citadel DLC. In-jokes and callbacks galore...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Arriving in columbia in Bioshock infinite, hearing 'God only knows' in the distance, then seeing the barbershop quartet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 MilionMilesAway

Reekwind wrote: »
    "Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you."

Never fails. That and beating Real Madrid 4-0 to claim my fourth consecutive Liga title with Seville. It's been a good week

Really hope someone does a re-boot of Alpha Centauri. My fav strategy game of all time and easily one of my top 5 of all time. I still to this day pay through it at least once a year.

Advertisement