Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Coveny on about shatter

Options
  • 26-03-2014 11:18am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone else hear simon coveny on the radio this morning defending Alan Shatter, minister for justice? I heard the few first minute of it where he was saying 'ironically enough' that the first hour and a half in the dail was going to be agricultural question time and the rest of the day will be debating Shatter and all the whistle blowing etc. etc.

Why is coveney on the radio instead of Shatter?

If I was a beef farmer from Cork losing 2-300 on every animal going to a meat factory this week I'd be damn slow about voting for this td next time round.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Talk around the breakfast table is that this could bring down the government or seriously weaken it anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

so whats the alternative to the current government?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Reggie. wrote: »
    Talk around the breakfast table is that this could bring down the government or seriously weaken it anyways

How could all this bring down the govt? Did'nt all this stuff originate in Feel & Fail's watch?

How could all this bring down the govt? Did'nt all this stuff originate in Feel & Fail's watch?

If you noticed that the government is turning in on itself with different ministers backing the whistle blowers where shatter and the enda were backing the commissioner.

biddy2013 wrote: »

God knows :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Ming, Claire and Mick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Round Bale

IFA! Silly you for not realising that.
    Rancher for Taoiseach!
    Farmer Pudsey (even though he might not an IFA'er) for Minister for Finance.

I'll throw you a bone, and make you Minister for Agriculture. -;)
    All those lively trips to Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If you noticed that the government is turning in on itself with different ministers backing the whistle blowers where shatter and the enda were backing the commissioner.

But that stuff is miniscule compared to what FF did:mad:. Storm in a teacup to me by comparision:pac:.

But that stuff is miniscule compared to what FF did:mad:. Storm in a teacup to me by comparision:pac:.

Yes and Bertie and co at still walking around while we pay for it

Yes but shatter is the most hated minister in a long time. From what I seen yesterday a lot of TDs are after him. He's hated in both the army and guards for a long time

• Advertisement

Round Bale wrote: »
    IFA! Silly you for not realising that.
    Rancher for Taoiseach!
    Farmer Pudsey (even though he might not an IFA'er) for Minister for Finance.

I'll throw you a bone, and make you Minister for Agriculture. -;)
    All those lively trips to Brussels.

Ministeress of agriculture :D

reilig wrote: »
    Ming, Claire and Mick!

Could you imagine mick with the earring and Ming, first order of business is to legalise weed :D

Yes and Bertie and co at still walking around while we pay for it

That's the joys of our little republic

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Could you imagine mick with the earring and Ming, first order of business is to legalise weed :D

Think you'd get grants to build glasshouses if that was passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

taking the mindset of the Irish electorate? Fianna fail

micraX wrote: »
    Think you'd get grants to build glasshouses if that was passed?

Any amount of them :D

Ministeress of agriculture :D
    hopefully i would do better than the last ministeress, i would bring in a grant for powerwashers:D

hopefully i would do better than the last ministeress, i would bring in a grant for powerwashers:D

Thata girl and grants for massey tractors only as well. The countryside will be red once again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Hm, better get my tunnel up pronto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Governments are always unpopular at times but this over blown nonsense on penalty points sure takes the biscuit.
    Die hard FF people who still can't get over the drumming they got for their mess.
    You'd see it in them when they grasped onto the ECB letter saying it's them what made us go to the troika not us.
    You'd swear we were all eejits.
    Then there's the Media, mainly the papers with nothing better to write about.
    As for the tax cheat,brink of bankruptcy td with the unkempt hair,there's loads who protest voted for him down here who now can't wait to get rid of him.
    Ironically his seat will go back to FF probably or possibly to Mick Darcy..

I'm no fan boy of this current government but they're very far from the worst we ever had,that was the last one.

• Advertisement

whitebriar wrote: »
    Governments are always unpopular at times but this over blown nonsense on penalty points sure takes the biscuit.

I don't agree. We've a very corrupt little country here and stuff like penalty points need to be sorted out properly - out in the light, not in dark rooms or privately at the cabinet table.

Gardai, lawyers etc investigating themselves just isn't on, it's neither just nor fair. Leads to all sorts of abuses.

And I've voted FG since I was able.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

++++1 complete sense. This is a nothing story stirred by the media. Only thing to do is ditch Labour who are trying to be popular by showing they care about a non event such ad penalty points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

I don't agree. We've a very corrupt little country here and stuff like penalty points need to be sorted out properly - out in the light, not in dark rooms or privately at the cabinet table.

Gardai, lawyers etc investigating themselves just isn't on, it's neither just nor fair. Leads to all sorts of abuses.i

And I've voted FG since I was able.
    Yeah but gardai have been calling other gards to get them to drop speeding fines since the state began,it's nothing new and nothing to do with Shatter specifically.
    So all the hoo Haas there is just bladdering nonsense.
    I do agree Gardai should be investigated by an independent body where there's cause.

whitebriar wrote: »
    Yeah but gardai have been calling other gards to get them to drop speeding fines since the state began,it's nothing new and nothing to do with Shatter specifically.
    So all the hoo Haas there is just bladdering nonsense.
    I do agree Gardai should be investigated by an independent body where there's cause.

But in a society such as ours, often a large hoo haa is necessary to bring reform (I didn't say necessary nor effective reform) into effect. The whistleblowers got no where until they went to the press, then we say Callinans reaction to that "disgusting".

Shatter, I've not much of an opinion on him one way or another. Ministers come, ministers go, it's the culture that's the problem. But if it takes others giving heat to Shatter to get something done then I say more power to their bellows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

It wont bring down the government but it could well bring down Shatter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

I think his attitude towards everyone else will bring down Shatter. He seems like a very pompous arrogant man. Varadkar's intervention in the whole thing smacks of retribution for past slights.

I also think Coveney is a climber and will back anyone that can further his career or knife in the back anyone that can limit his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

towzer2010 wrote: »
    I think his attitude towards everyone else will bring down Shatter. He seems like a very pompous arrogant man. Varadkar's intervention in the whole thing smacks of retribution for past slights.

I also think Coveney is a climber and will back anyone that can further his career or knife in the back anyone that can limit his career.

Yeah back pretty much sums up covney alright and Leo isn't much better, they ll try anything to make them selves look good in the public eye and will climb over anyone to get up the ladder. I remember when they tried to heave against Enda and when he manged to get the councils to back him they were straight over to feed at his feet again.

I remember convey rolling out the ted crilly excuse about the money just resting in the account when his late father was exposed as an ansbacker account holder despite his statements to the contrary.

As for shatter why are people surprised that he is trying to weasel his why out of any responsibility. This kind of blame everyone but me and as sure 'twas like from the FF days is a fairly fimilar one from FG and lab. Phil hogan did it on the irish water fiasco and James Reilly even tried to say it all Mary harneys fault, and Tom Barry & pj sheahan would have been fired from a job in the real world for what they got up to. Uncle Enda still backed his buddies the and he ll back his buddy now again.

As we have seen over the last couple of years stupidity, deception and incompetence are highly regarded quailties in endas eyes and he will make no change no matter how bad things are. The only difference between FG and FF are the colours on their election posters.

As for bringing down the government it's highly unlikely as to do so the back benches and labour would have to revolt and that's highly unlikely to happen, life away from the gravey train might be too much for them so they hang on as long as they can. Besides have we a credible alternative???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭mf240

This government is far from perfect but there a long ways ahead of what went before them.

Michael martin makes my skin crawl the way he uses every little thing to cynically score points at every opportunity. Shamelessly populous. grrrr..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I think Shatter will hold out unless someone comes up with another misdemeanour directly relating to him ,to be fair to him, although arrogant and dislikeable he is an excellent hardworking minister in the main with a clear vision of the reforms he wants to implement and also going about doing it very effectively .
    Would not be a fan of Coveney, extremely ambitious and will walk over bodies to get to the top but somehow lacking in real talent,Varadkar also extremely ambitious but has the talent to match maybe too much for the old guard so too close to call between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

mf240 wrote: »
    This government is far from perfect but there a long ways ahead of what went before them.

Michael martin makes my skin crawl the way he uses every little thing to cynically score points at every opportunity. Shamelessly populous. grrrr..

Sure he is no different from the rest, they all play the same game to use every situation to big up themselves. After 2 year FG/lab are still using the excuse that it was like that when we got here, yet they still manage to make it worse. As for FF trying to take the moral high ground really grates.

Advertisement