Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lane closures groody roundabout to April 2014

Options
  • 26-03-2014 10:34am
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what is going on down there? Someone will tell me that there were planning permissions and planes dragging banners across the sky, but this seems to have popped up without notice.

Roundabout and approach roads seem to be restricted to one lane for the next three weeks. That's convenient for everyone, right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Don't know whats going on but this really annoyed me yesterday on my home. I travel this road every day and there was not one notice informing motorists that there was roadworks upcoming, surely it couldn't have be hard to stick up a sign a couple of weeks ago to inform people that this was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Pandiani wrote: »
    Don't know whats going on but this really annoyed me yesterday on my home. I travel this road every day and there was not one notice informing motorists that there was roadworks upcoming, surely it couldn't have be hard to stick up a sign a couple of weeks ago to inform people that this was happening.

Delays of over an hour and not a single sign UNTIL the Groody

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I looked on the county council website, and can see no mention of the road closures. Don't they need planning permission for something like this? I don't know can I cope with three weeks of this! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Saw it yesterday inbound to tkmaxx and knew would be hell getting back out. Went up to blood mill road and out that way to Newport. Would have been madness otherwise.

I drive that road numerous times a day and saw no signs until I was nearly at the groody roundabout coming from ballysimon.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Any idea of what they could be doing there? That r/a has been getting busier the last few years (especially for those coming out of UL at 5pm) - any chance they could be turning it into a proper traffic light junction - might be safer and more efficient. It has worked well in Galway with a series of r/a's turned into junctions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Yesterday morning(~8:00am) they had one of those big electronic notice boards parked on the traffic island between Cosgraves and the Topaz filling staff across from it, facing towards town but no information on it. Came back out yesterday evening around 5:00pm to chaos - traffic backed up beyond the Parkway Retail Park (Homebase, etc).

No idea what it's all about......

I'm thinking we should form an angry mob? Is there someone we can ask about this officially?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

MarkR wrote: »
    I'm thinking we should form an angry mob? Is there someone we can ask about this officially?

You need prior permission before forming an angry mob - catch 22 ;)

The lack of information is an absolute joke though - it is one of the main traffic arteries coming out of and going into the city. Not sure if the other routes in will be able to take the increased load for the next few weeks :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I believe it might be something to do with making cycle lanes or some such

Wonderful, motorists struggle as it is with the two orbital lanes without adding more to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Yes there are plans to improve the links between the university and the city centre along with making the Groody roundabout more pedestrian and cyclist friendly. So the works are probably related to that project.

In my view I would prefer to see the canal bank from UL to Lock Quay upgraded for pedestrian and cyclist use. I wouldn't fancy mixing it with cars along the busy Dublin road and Clare Street!

Both the City and County Council websites are pretty hopeless in general but especially in terms of relevant, up to date information. They seem to have given up the ghost entirely in recent times probably because of the upcoming merger in May. The new joint authority's site would want to be a major improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

All lanes open in both directions
    When I passed at 4.30pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Cycle lanes still don't prevent dumb drivers unfortunately.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I just got an alert today telling me that the road closures would be starting... Yesterday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

all lanes were open this morning.

must have realised their mistake!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I just got an alert today telling me that the road closures would be starting... Yesterday!!!

Just got another alert saying closures are between 930 and 330pm now. Much better!

all lanes were open this morning.

must have realised their mistake!

I thought I'd be smart, and avoid it altogether by taking the motorway as far as finnegans roundabout.

Big mistake.

300437.jpg

It's always like that on the motorway because of those traffic lights at the Annacotty industrial estate junction. They have the space, should have been a roundabout but they luvvvs thems traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭manna452121

This is what I found. https://www.mapalerter.com/a?a=2246

That's brilliant news. Looks like they are not running during peak hours.
    Further to previous notification, please note that Road Works at Groody Roundabout on the Dublin Road (R445) are from 9.30am to 3.30pm 25/03/14 - 17/04/14 not 4.30pm as incorrectly stated previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

[QUOTE=must have realised their mistake![/QUOTE]

Mmmm....not so sure
    angeldaisy wrote: »
    Just got another alert saying closures are between 930 and 330pm now. Much better!

Was stuck there today, they were only reopening all the lanes at 3.55pm, took me quite a while to get from Chalkes to the Groody, wouldn't be surprised if the traffic was backed up all the way to the Vistakon roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I can't wait to see what the improvements for pedestrians and cyclists will be - given the current placement of the crossings is very unsafe for both drivers and non-drivers.

Back closing lanes this morning.
    Parkway to groody down to one lane at maxol

You realise they are making the roundabout smaller.(roundabout bigger but lanes smaller)They are moving the inner bricks further out and removing the chevrons and moving the access point out.

Like the roundabout isn't dangerous enough!

Beer Baron wrote: »
    You realise they are making the roundabout smaller.(roundabout bigger but lanes smaller)They are moving the inner bricks further out and removing the chevrons and moving the access point out.

I don't really care what they're doing tbh.
    More alerting people that they're starting early again because the schools are off

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Why in gods name are they don't that?

Mc Love wrote: »
    Why in gods name are they don't that?

No idea but you can see where they've moved and placed new kerbing further into the road if and when you pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

No idea but you can see where they've moved and placed new kerbing further into the road if and when you pass.

Would love to hear their reasoning behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭manna452121

I drove out to Castletroy yesterday and a Cable company was doing work at the Parkway roundabout.They had one lane closed and everthing was controlled with a stop/go system.This company had no problem working on a Sunday at 9.00.Why cant the lads a the groody do the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Toffeeboy

"Quote:
    Further to previous notification, please note that Road Works at Groody Roundabout on the Dublin Road (R445) are from 9.30am to 3.30pm 25/03/14 - 17/04/14 not 4.30pm as incorrectly stated previously".

Looks like they are nearly finished. Only just over a month late.

Advertisement