Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reupholstering a saddle

Options
  • 26-03-2014 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

I've done a quick search and can't find anything in this forum about it...

I've a problem. I have a saddle (Specialized Avatar) on my commuting/cross bike that is very comfortable when I'm out training. It is similar in shape to my preferred saddle (Specialized Toupe) but a bit more padding, which is great for cross. I like it very much.

The material is quite grippy though. This is fine when in lycra, but in jeans on my way to work, it's causing some undesired friction. Cue a saddle sore.

I've tried a different saddle, which alleviated the sore but created numbness. I'm considering getting a Toupe for this bike, but that's a cost. I'm convinved that if the material didn't grab my jeans/pants and cause bunching, there wouldn't be a problem. My commute is 4km; I'm not lycra-ing up for it.

Has anyone gotten their saddle reupholstered in Dublin? Experience and feedback welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Could you cover it in less grippy tape?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Could you cover it in less grippy tape?

What kind of tape?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Or just make a cover for it? If you get some heavy lining, like satin lining, or even a sateen or not too stretchy lycra (lycra is a bitch to work with unless you are an experienced sewer. And even then it's a cúnt) (or some waterproof fabric. I have done that, 2 birds one stone perhaps?!) maybe or something like that and run a strip of elastic around the edge, gathering as you go having shaped it and slip it on top of the current saddle? Should be a snug fit, 5 min sewing machine job.

gadetra wrote: »
    Or just make a cover for it? If you get some heavy lining, like satin lining, or even a sateen or not too stretchy lycra (lycra is a bitch to work with unless you are an experienced sewer. And even then it's a cúnt) (or some waterproof fabric. I have done that, 2 birds one stone perhaps?!) maybe or something like that and run a strip of elastic around the edge, gathering as you go having shaped it and slip it on top of the current saddle? Should be a snug fit, 5 min sewing machine job.

I'm flattered by your estimation of my sewing skills. Will you do it for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://www.tuttyshandmadeshoes.ie/

These lads would do a tidy job I'm sure but you might get a new bike for price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

New jeans? A few companies make cycling jeans for commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Any chance of getting one of those free pink Giro seat covers floating around out there?

I don't know what they're made of but maybe they're slippy?

nak wrote: »
    New jeans? A few companies make cycling jeans for commuters.

I have a pair of swrve jeans, but they still bunch. Also, they don't fit very well. Also, I'd need a fair few pairs, so cost wise, I'd just get a new saddle. I'm trying to find a way of spending less money.

Now that I've said that, the obvious solution is a new bike...

Ha ha ha depends, what would my payment be? :D

Seriously though it is one of the simplest things to sew ever. Anyone can do it! I can make up instructions and pm them to you if you want to give it a go?

quozl wrote: »
    Any chance of getting one of those free pink Giro seat covers floating around out there?

I don't know what they're made of but maybe they're slippy?

But the pink won't match the bike... Where can these be gotten?

• Advertisement

gadetra wrote: »
    Ha ha ha depends, what would my payment be? :D

Seriously though it is one of the simplest things to sew ever. Anyone can do it! I can make up instructions and pm them to you if you want to give it a go?

Work away, though I can promise you they'll be ignored. Pint of whatever takes your fancy instead?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Now that I've said that, the obvious solution is a new bike...

That is always the solution!

Work away, though I can promise you they'll be ignored. Pint of whatever takes your fancy instead?!

Make it a brandy and you might have a deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

22 cents gets you a plastic bag in dunnes.....

Advertisement