Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nitro helicopter

Options
  • 25-03-2014 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi. advice needed. i have a jr nitro helicopter and a futaba 6ex 2.4 ghz transmitter and am trying to learn to fly it , after several attempts and broken rotor blades i think i need a simulator to practice. Can anyone recommend what to get and where to get it ?. I hope to use it on a laptop running windows vista. all help appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

http://radiocontrolledshop.ie/159-flight-simulators-cables-rc-flight-sims-rc-sim-helcopter-plane- Get them trainer leg things the helis are hard to master and dont think that your mighty on the sim and go mad with the real one or it will end up in ****e take small steps and ya will get their i wrecked my one 3 times in the one week but sure its all part off the fun. This fella dose some good videos on how to fly them i found it very helpful http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/ As for the laptop running the sim my one didn't kept freezing ya need a big graphic card for it i think sure try it and see if ya have any problems with the heli or flying just ask.
    What happened when you crashed can you hover it or is it going mad once it leaves the ground the heli might be set up to wild for you

• Registered Users Posts: 38 paulfosters

Hi Peter, Thanks for the reply. thats what i was afraid of with the sim. the heli does need some fine tuning for sure but i think i panic ( do panic ) when it takes off and just loose the nerve. i have training skids, but it starts to lean over a bit when just off the ground and i was hoping to correct this when in the air ? ie with the transmitter .
    thanks for the links will study them. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CNTRLR

i will say i tried and tried to get flying with the hell, but gave up as it was just too hard for a beginner, i bought a cheap multi rotor from HK, it is far easier to learn the basics on that thing, and now after a few months of the multi rotor i can handle the heli, but am still learning the ropes when it comes to wind correction etc..

Hi . was thinking about going down the same route but was worried that i would never get used to having as many controls. thanks will try to get a cheap one,was looking at the cost of sims, surely get one for the same price or cheaper. i get annoyed when i look at heli and think about what it cost and still not able to fly it. its something i wanted as a child so not going to give up on it. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CNTRLR

it is very tough to fly a heli starting out, it takes a deft touch to control it and if the hell is not set up properly then it will take even longer to master the controls, the multi rotor i have cost less than 100notes including the receiver and the batteries, i bought a receiver that was compatible with my heli radio so i could get used to holding it and making slight input when needed.

• Advertisement

Dont lose faith in them tomorrow ill post on how to trim and set up the heli o dont trim it in the air too much going on for ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

They need to be setup properly, and a reasonably good one which will hover accurately, before anything else.

Simulators are great. But someone experienced in setting up and flying, will make the process far easier in addition to the simulator. Using a buddy box setup is a great help.

I seen some give up trying, thinking it was too hard, but the helis they had were very hard to fly, making it much harder to learn than if it had been a better one.

Then if a decent flying one crashes, it needs to be properly fixed to fly well again. So finding an experienced flyer is highly recommended.

Even setting them up properly is quite involved.

Ok first off make sure the heli is in the center of the training skids set trims on channel 1 and 2 to zero then go into duel rates it will look like D/R on the transmitter set them to 50% i think you move the stick on the 6ex transmitter for left/right / forward/back so you set 50% for 4 orientations by setting the duel rates it should be a little easier to fly dont touch EPA End Point Adjustment. N-TH Normal Throttle Curve that will more than likely be set at 0% 20% 40% 60% 100% something like that you could take 10% of the first 3 then the engine wont be revving as mad .Then lift off and see what the heli dose now be CAREFUL. At this stage of your flying you should be only 6 inches of the ground no more. So if the heli goes forward and left set it down adjust the trim 2 clicks back 2 right fly again you should be seeing some change. Me giving all this info is not really any good to you as ya need to be able to at least hover to set it up. Bruthal is right a heli that is set up wrong is a nightmare i spent 2 weeks sorting out a tail wag. Theirs so much more to do with it i take it the heli is second hand, theirs engine tuning is the swash plate level are the end points all set right. You do really need someone to fly it and set it up for ya once its flying 100% that's half the battle. Some checks before flying transmitter on then heli never turn off the transmitter if the heli is running push forward on right stick swash moves forward, back swash back ,right swash right, left swash left. Remember very small movements on the sticks it takes a second for the heli to react to inputs. I think i am right with all that info its a good while since i set one up. Where are you based. Just in case ya don't have the manual for the 6ex here it is http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/6ex-2_4ghz-manual.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Look into Phoenix RC Simulator. By using that ive never actually crashed (apart from a mechanical issue... who forgot the threadlock?)

Also if you've crashed it have you checked all the linkages are straight, and the flybar isn't bent, also main shaft and feathering shaft? If the blades were in the dirt its likely theres a slight bend, and always worth checking.
    If somthings bent its going to make your life even more difficult.

As has been said before, if you can get the heli set up right before you start you have a better chance of flying.

Ok first off make sure the heli is in the center of the training skids set trims on channel 1 and 2 to zero then go into duel rates it will look like D/R on the transmitter set them to 50% i think you move the stick on the 6ex transmitter for left/right / forward/back so you set 50% for 4 orientations by setting the duel rates it should be a little easier to fly dont touch EPA End Point Adjustment. N-TH Normal Throttle Curve that will more than likely be set at 0% 20% 40% 60% 100% something like that you could take 10% of the first 3 then the engine wont be revving as mad .Then lift off and see what the heli dose now be CAREFUL. At this stage of your flying you should be only 6 inches of the ground no more. So if the heli goes forward and left set it down adjust the trim 2 clicks back 2 right fly again you should be seeing some change. Me giving all this info is not really any good to you as ya need to be able to at least hover to set it up. Bruthal is right a heli that is set up wrong is a nightmare i spent 2 weeks sorting out a tail wag. Theirs so much more to do with it i take it the heli is second hand, theirs engine tuning is the swash plate level are the end points all set right. You do really need someone to fly it and set it up for ya once its flying 100% that's half the battle. Some checks before flying transmitter on then heli never turn off the transmitter if the heli is running push forward on right stick swash moves forward, back swash back ,right swash right, left swash left. Remember very small movements on the sticks it takes a second for the heli to react to inputs. I think i am right with all that info its a good while since i set one up. Where are you based. Just in case ya don't have the manual for the 6ex here it is http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/6ex-2_4ghz-manual.pdf
    thanks Peter was thinking about trans set up, will have to look in to it. all damaged parts replaced but need to get some thing to balance blades.interesting about throttle curve revving high/fast before it would lift. thanks too to bruthal and everyone. will study transmitter first before trying again. thanks again ps based in kilkenny

• Advertisement

Its a good idea to write down what's on the transmitter before you change anything at least you can go back if you change something here is a list of rc flying clubs http://www.maci.ie/clubs-flying-sites/#Laois if that fails and your really stuck i do be in naas a good bit i have no problem meeting you somewhere and get her flying for you. What jr helis is it you have is it a jr 50 by any chance. Also get one of them neck straps makes holding the transmitter easier and holds the sticks with index finger and thumb you have more control than just using your thumbs

Thanks Peter. Good idea about neck strap !. tonite i reset the transmitter to all defaults and going to start again. am often passing Naas my self so keep you posted.

Here is a good forum for helis http://www.helifreak.com/

Thanks for all the advice, after thinking about buying a sim versus a cheap heli i bought a sim. the sim model was behaving exactly as the real one so i realised it must be my transmitter and after a long time and trial and error despite having reset trans i now have it ( the sim flying normal ). next step is setting up heli properly. will take a while im sure and need to learn a lot more about swash plate and setting up gyro. thanks Peter for the links :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

The forum Peter posted above is fantastic for learning about setup.
    Theres a ton of really good videos that are worth sitting down for a few hours and watching.
    There may even be a vid of a full build of your own heli and they will show you exactly how to set it up.

heres a link to the how to video thread

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41692

Advertisement