Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEREFORD /ANGUS

Options
  • 25-03-2014 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭

buying a new mop up bull for dairy herd.which should I go for

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

keep going wrote: »
    buying a new mop up bull for dairy herd.which should I go for

Angus good easy fleshed animals .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Angus good easy fleshed animals .

Have one of each here for mopping up, not much to choose between them, although the Hereford calves tend to normally be worth just a little bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Have one of each here for mopping up, not much to choose between them, although the Hereford calves tend to normally be worth just a little bit more

If also using on heifers angus may give more options. If using on dairy need fleshy bull to get better calf

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What sort of cows have you? When do you sell the calves? I hear a hereford bull used on jersey x cows 'camoflauges' them better than an angus:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

blue5000 wrote: »
    What sort of cows have you? When do you sell the calves? I hear a hereford bull used on jersey x cows 'camoflauges' them better than an angus:eek:

90% are fr with a few jecrosses and 3 shorthorn crosses so thats not a big issue.would one have a shorter gestation than the other.we never bred alot of hd but we always thought them harder calved than angus.calves sold at 3 to 4 weeks generally

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

blue5000 wrote: »

Plenty of lads will do some looking now after that statement.lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I don't think there is huge variation in gestation, maybe 2 or 3 days shorter with angus, I think whiteheads would be better sellers this year in the mart, but that will probably all stop when larry has enough for hereford prime.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Hereford, this year AA are selling well but HE still are selling better. 4 week old HE always sell at a good premium.

Issue with AA is that too many farmers are using easy calving on heifers and this tends to dilute price accross the board

Advertisement