Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

fishmonger in Tullamore?

• 25-03-2014 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

Is there a fishmonger or some where in Tullamore to get good fresh fish?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Is there a fishmonger or some where in Tullamore to get good fresh fish?

Thanks

There's one on High St just up from the Dew Inn http://www.goldenpages.ie/bates-of-kilmore-quay-tullamore/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

There's one on High St just up from the Dew Inn http://www.goldenpages.ie/bates-of-kilmore-quay-tullamore/

thanks, will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Every Friday morning there's a guy pulled up in the Texas car park. Sells fish from there. Got stuff of him before, very reasonable.
    The guy up the town is more likely to fillet stuff for you though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

The guy in the van at Texas told me he collects the fish from the boats at 3am on the same day as he sells the fish. I believe him it's so fresh and so nice as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

IrishHomer wrote: »
    The guy in the van at Texas told me he collects the fish from the boats at 3am on the same day as he sells the fish. I believe him it's so fresh and so nice as a result.

Boats don't sell small quantities to individuals, they sell a whole catch to a co-op or main supplier who can give them a return on all species. All fish has to be logged properly and this chap that thinks he's buying directly isn't because its a long procedure being the point of first sale because he's have to log it with the dept of agriculture every time.
    There isn't a landing in every port every night, boats can be out for over a week at times and certain ports won't see boats for days on end as they could land nearer to where the fishing is good.

People in these vans are what is doing harm to town and villages around the country, they drive to a different location every day of the week, pay no rent, rates in the town or employ anyone local and are no addition to the local community and drive away with their takings for the day.

Why not support a local shop and local jobs?

Where does the chap in the van wash his hands? Does he handle money, doubt he changes to new disposable gloves or washes his hands every time...? Does he have a bathroom in his van? Temperature control?

Don't always believe what people tell you ;)

• Advertisement

People in these vans are what is doing harm to town and villages around the country
    :rolleyes:

Guill wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Very well articulated response :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

niallam wrote: »

Your very passionate about this. Are you in the trade yourself

Now that I have time i'll articulate a response.

It's not the high rates that are killing the town
    It's not the lack of decent restaurants
    It's not the huge Tesco outside of town with it's ample amounts of free parking drawing people out from the town centre
    It's not the fact that a night in the pub will set you bvack more than it would cost you to have friends around and feed and water them for a night.
    It's not the Aldi, also with huge amount of free parking
    It's not the feuding families
    It's not the drugs
    It's not the crime
    It's not the poor traffic management
    It's not the cost of parking in the town

It's the guy in the van that sells fish on a Friday morning, the bastard.

Also, the guy up[ the town told me he gets his fish fresh from the boats too. So neither, or both, are telling the truth.

Guill wrote: »
    Now that I have time i'll articulate a response.

It's not the high rates that are killing the town
    It's not the lack of decent restaurants
    It's not the huge Tesco outside of town with it's ample amounts of free parking drawing people out from the town centre
    It's not the fact that a night in the pub will set you bvack more than it would cost you to have friends around and feed and water them for a night.
    It's not the Aldi, also with huge amount of free parking
    It's not the feuding families
    It's not the drugs
    It's not the crime
    It's not the poor traffic management
    It's not the cost of parking in the town

It's the guy in the van that sells fish on a Friday morning, the bastard.

Also, the guy up[ the town told me he gets his fish fresh from the boats too. So neither, or both, are telling the truth.

Neither are telling the truth.
    Chances are they're buying illegally landed fish, great for Irish fishing industry and sustainability.
    It's almost the same as buying a tv or power tools off an ethnic minority from the back of the van, it's more than likely been illegally obtained.

And I don't just mean the town in question I mean all towns across Ireland.
    I actually don't think I've ever been in that town in my life.
    These traders leave no money in the town or are any addition to local jobs.

• Advertisement

Neither are telling the truth.
    Chances are they're buying illegally landed fish, great for Irish fishing industry and sustainability.
    It's almost the same as buying a tv or power tools off an ethnic minority from the back of the van, it's more than likely been illegally obtained.
    At least we all know who is responsible for the global economic collapse now, yer man in the fish van.

athlonelad wrote: »
    At least we all know who is responsible for the global economic collapse now, yer man in the fish van.

In a time of depression / recession crime and the black market prosper :D

illegal street traders are an unauthorised development and subject to large fines which our wonderful councils have no interest in enforcing, easier collect rates off everyone contributing something to the locality.

In a time of depression / recession crime and the black market prosper :D

illegal street traders are an unauthorised development and subject to large fines which our wonderful councils have no interest in enforcing, easier collect rates off everyone contributing something to the locality.
    Do you have any evidence of this or it just your opinion? You are slating someones business.

Advertisement