Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelset - Pull the trigger time

Options
  • 25-03-2014 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Looing to invest in a wheelset to cover both racing and TT. Carbon clincher with the preference for alloy/aluminium braking surface. The choices are fairly obvious but making the choice is the difficulty. I'm leaning towards the Compagnolo Bullets linked below in preference to the Fulcrum Red Wind 50 XLR and the reliable Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;product=48448;page=3;menu=1000,4,123,30;mid=1;pgc=0

Just wondering does anyone have the compag and would they recommend else recommend an alternative around the 1,000 mark or below preferably.

Cheers, mccutchie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They're heavy and expensive.

I would prefer some of these from Wheelsmith which are lighter and cheaper:

RACE50 Carbon/Alloy CLINCHER
    http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/news/107-50mm-carbon-alloy-clinchers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Would it not be better to buy some cheapish 80-100mm wheels for TTs and save up for decent 50mm wheels for racing?

You could get Planet X or Hong Fu 80-100mm wheels for 6-700.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Pawlie

Get campag Shamals,they as good as anything,roll just as good as carbons and are stiff as **** too,and are lighter than most 50mm carbon cinchers

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Detec do well priced carbon clinchers from Cycle Superstore. I have the M58 tubulars and they are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Lumen wrote: »
    They're heavy and expensive.

I would prefer some of these from Wheelsmith which are lighter and cheaper:

RACE50 Carbon/Alloy CLINCHER
    http://www.wheelsmith.co.uk/news/107-50mm-carbon-alloy-clinchers
    As long as you're not in a rush (from the homepage):
    * NEWS: WE ARE CLOSED UNTIL EASTER MONDAY 21st April.

PLEASE DO NOT CALL OR EMAIL ANY ORDERS UNTIL THEN - IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO TAKE ANY NEW ORDERS ON RIGHT NOW.

IF YOU HAVE ANY REPAIRS, PLEASE EMAIL IN THE 1st INSTANCE - DO NOT WORRY, WE WILL BE ABLE TO HELP ANYTIME.

All existing orders will be out within 2 weeks.

Thanks for your cooperation and apologies to everyone who was hoping to place an order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Colinoc

Mccutchie,

I have a set of 50m carbon clinchers from Derek at Wheelsmith I bought a few months ago.(All carbon, 10sp shimano hub).They are a beautiful set of wheels with his standard hubs. I've taken them on two spins and one race. I'm looking for another set of wheels and might sell these (as I don't use them enough). I'm under no pressure to, cos I really like them, unless there was genuine interest in them. But totally recommend Derek at Wheelsmith if you are going directly to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

If you can spend that money on carbon alloy clinchers
    I'd buy these
    http://jedi-sports.de/product_info.php?language=en&products_id=3316

I'd probably go with Brians option you could nearly buy a set of campag zondas and wheelsmith full carbon clinchers for the same price.

I quite like the mavic Exalith rims though look of full carbon with supposedly even better braking than normal alloy rims

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭c50

i would agee with the others when they speak of shamals/ wheelsmith,

I think carbones are the biggest waste of space money can buy. Half of ireland has them and i cant understand why because theyre utter filth. 900quid for an average wheel with a carbon fairing, almost 2kg's and seized spokes? no thank you..

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mccutchie

Thanks for all the advice guys the wheelsmith & shamals looks like a serious option, i'm very impressed with both on researching same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Colinoc wrote: »
    Mccutchie,

I have a set of 50m carbon clinchers from Derek at Wheelsmith I bought a few months ago.(All carbon, 10sp shimano hub).They are a beautiful set of wheels with his standard hubs. I've taken them on two spins and one race. I'm looking for another set of wheels and might sell these (as I don't use them enough). I'm under no pressure to, cos I really like them, unless there was genuine interest in them. But totally recommend Derek at Wheelsmith if you are going directly to him.

Go on tempt me how much were you thinking? Are they 11 speed compatible? Any pics?
    I was considering going for the farsport hong kong option in another month or two or maybe Planet x tubs if they drop to £300 again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Colinoc

Ryath wrote: »
    Go on tempt me how much were you thinking? Are they 11 speed compatible? Any pics?
    I was considering going for the farsport hong kong option in another month or two or maybe Planet x tubs if they drop to £300 again.

Hi, As we are not in the adverts section, don't want to be behaving inappropriately (ha), I paid 750 stg 820 euroish for them, I think 10 pounds delivery. What I like about them is that they weigh 1480g as clinchers, didn't want the restriction of tubs if using outside of competition and they are lighter than my Kysriums elite s at the 1530 grms. I had a set of shimano rs 80s 50 ml before which were nearly 1800gms, which I found so hard to drag up hills/drags (not the strongest rider). I know its not all about weight with aero wheels, but why, for me have an aero set heavier than my kysriums. The mavic cosmic range at that price point are heavier and you are still changing brake pads for their new exailth surface so why not go carbon.

Had a lot of thought on whether to go chris king hubs or standard ones which derek offers. Went for the standard ones, as couldn't justify the price of the cks. Derek at Wheelsmith's sponsored riders are using his standard hubs and they are beautiful to listen to spinning, and keep on going.

If I was to sell them I suppose I'd need about 700 euro for them, I've only used them three times. (This is not an offer as I haven't decided to sell), but just discussion around my set of wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

Get the 500euro planet x wheels, I have them and they're nearly identical to the cosmic carbones, then spend the other 500 on a coach or a weeks warm weather training.

Advertisement