Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maintenance queries

Options
  • 25-03-2014 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

i have recently been in court with my ex for access of our 2 children (6 and & 7) to cut a long story short, after 3 years of wanting no contact with them he has decided he wants access, i must say that i never stopped access and in fact tried to encourage it but he was never interested. anyways, the judge has now given access once a fortnight for 2 n a half hours each time, my question is how much maintenance will he be made to pay? i am currently on one-parent family and he is also on claiming social welfare. he is claiming for his partner and her child along with his own child with her so obviously their expenses and needs will come into it. i have never received maintenance from him as i thought if he didnt want contact then there was no point in him paying anything towards their cost of living, access is a lot more important than money! as he now has access i feel it is only appropriate that he pays maintenance. his weekly earnings would be around 360euro per week, mine is 247euro, around 37euro after rent, esb, gas and food shopping. any help on this will be greatly received, thank you! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

You should be expecting very little. I know a girl who gets a tenner because the dad is on social welfare and because youre on loan parents that will be docked if youre getting maintenance. All maintenance is seen as means now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 liisa777

thank u Madisson :) i was expecting this to be the case, i'm sure he will also increase his outgoings to make it more difficult to receive a decent payment!

Oh but of course why wouldn't he like...sure you're their mother. ..you should be skint and paying every cent you have while he lives the high life :P

its a tough decision to make as to what to do because if he doesnt pay it, your loan parents will still be cut and you will just have to keep going to court to get the money off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

All maintenance is seen as means now!!![/QUOTE]

news to me

yeah that's what i'm worried about! he's been off living the high life for 3 years not bothered that he had 2 children here to look after! it's tough to deal with the fact that he has been given access with a click of his fingers after so long but i'm hoping for the sake of the kids that hes grown up and has changed for the better! fingers crossed he has changed! :)

• Advertisement

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    All maintenance is seen as means now!!!

news to me[/QUOTE]

Ye split it in half and deduct half.

So if you get 20 quid maintenance they deduct a tenner from your loan parents.

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    All maintenance is seen as means now!!!

news to me[/QUOTE]

it is, his solicitor asked the judge for time to do a means test and we're back in court next month
    i have no solicitor as i can't afford one to confirm this but reading other posts on here this does seem to be the case :(

liisa777 wrote: »
    yeah that's what i'm worried about! he's been off living the high life for 3 years not bothered that he had 2 children here to look after! it's tough to deal with the fact that he has been given access with a click of his fingers after so long but i'm hoping for the sake of the kids that hes grown up and has changed for the better! fingers crossed he has changed! :)

Mine hasnt bothered with access yet but who knows. Thats mainly why i havent looked for maintenance cause I dont want to spark that off. At least its not over nights and he could easily get bored after a few visits. Hopefully he's actually interested in your kids. Good luck with everything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

liisa777 wrote: »
    news to me

it is, his solicitor asked the judge for time to do a means test and we're back in court next month
    i have no solicitor as i can't afford one to confirm this but reading other posts on here this does seem to be the case :([/QUOTE]

Have you applied for legal aid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

We can't give legal advice, contact FLAC (www.flac.ie) for more information.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement