Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicago

Options
  • 25-03-2014 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be in Chicago for 4 days in April, with a couple of free afternoons.

Has anyone ever hired a racing bike in the city? There are a few options I've found on the web, albeit pricy, wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

Also, from memory, there were plenty of cyclists around Lake Michigan last time I was there - if I wanted to do a training spin, is that possible in terms of speed/safety?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

What race are you training for? It must be an important one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

el tel wrote: »
    What race are you training for? It must be an important one!!

Well it's not so much a need to go training, but the idea of seeing some of the lake on a bike appeals, and if there are areas where I can push the speed a bit for a while, so much the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The cycle lanes in Chicago on the shores of Lake Michigan are very popular. When I was there I saw plenty of people on road bikes, but also a lot of people on touring/commuter/MTB bikes. It'd be tough to get a good training spin due to the volume of cyclists, but it's still worth hiring out a bike and enjoying the fantastic scenery.

Thanks - looking at some peoples rides on Strava, seems like you can build up speed away once you get away from crowds around Navy Pier and Millenium Park.

Thanks - looking at some peoples rides on Strava, seems like you can build up speed away once you get away from crowds around Navy Pier and Millenium Park.

Post up a Strava link and I can check to see if I've cycled along there.

• Advertisement

This was one I looked at - I expect I'll mostly stick to the bike route by the lake.

http://www.strava.com/activities/55835065#1020309509

This was one I looked at - I expect I'll mostly stick to the bike route by the lake.

http://www.strava.com/activities/55835065#1020309509

I would have cycled the southern part of that Strava route (from Navy Pier southwards). You can indeed pick up a bit of speed when you leave the Navy Pier/Millenium Park area but you will need your wits about you in case you meet a jogger/walker on the bike path etc.

I was there in June and in the middle of the day so it'll probably be a lot quieter for you.

OT: It's well worth going on a boat trip on the lake (if the weather permits). I went on an 'old style' tall ship. We had perfect weather, and it was class :)

Thanks, that's great.

Work are paying so I think I'm going to bring my own bike. Downside is I've seen the agenda for the week so will be restricted to early mornings and evenings, but can't complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Used to run from the north side of Navy Pier up as far a lincon park zoo and back when i lived there.. Its a busy stretch along there.. Will be tough getting any kind of speed up.

Advertisement