Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organic Chicken Manure Pellets

Options
  • 25-03-2014 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone here using the organic chicken manure pellets on there lands, as appose to the artificial manure?

Lots of lads using it next to me , and say its a great job if used properly, and saves a fortune on fertiliser costs.

Some of them mix the pellets with the artificial manure, and are very happy with its return, for both grazing and meadows.

thinking of giving it a go. you can buy it in Tonne bags. Comes from the north I think , but few sales reps around the south . The sales reps also give a good idea on how to get the most from it, apparently.

Jo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fixitagaintomo

DO you have any idea what the cost is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

DO you have any idea what the cost is?

Around 200 euro a tonne I think . Depends what type you get .... different strength. Fair smell off it tho :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,505 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Any risk of Botchelusim as with frest litter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I'd say you'd need to be in border counties as transport wouldn't be long eating into its cost effectiveness.

What are roughly the units of npk supplied per tonne?

Do you have a link to a supplier..

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Do you have a link to a supplier..

Ya ... pm me and I can give you details of a supplier

Any risk of Botchelusim as with frest litter

No this is all fully approved and legitimate. Not just chicken ****e. All processed apparently.

Muckit wrote: »
    I'd say you'd need to be in border counties as transport wouldn't be long eating into its cost effectiveness.

Well the supplier would arrange the loads from different customers to come in the one artic load , so doesn't matter what county your in. I'm in munster and that's roughly the price from supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

Muckit wrote: »

Fairly low according to this flyer.

21 Day Exclusion for Farmed Animals..
    Thats a bit crazy !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Head office in Trim I see. I'll take it upon myself when I'm back in work to call in and see can I get any more info for Ye good people of F&F.
    How about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi,

thinking of giving it a go. you can buy it in Tonne bags. Comes from the north I think , but few sales reps around the south . The sales reps also give a good idea on how to get the most from it, apparently.

Jo

Did you give it a go so Jo?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

21 Day Exclusion for Farmed Animals..
    Thats a bit crazy !!

The reason is that the manure is in part made up of biological materials such as feathers, bits of dead chicks and other detritus from fowl houses.

I know The stuff is not recommended for grazing for horses.

This is the dept of Ag advice on poultry manure which Is the 'raw' version of the pellets. Not sure if this properly destroys all possible bacteriological problems etc

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmingsectors/poultry/spreadingofpoultrylitteronland/

I'd be thinking they are worried about Botulism then with that restriction.

Given that risk, and the apparent low NPK values.
    Where is the attraction ??

Also.
    Can I just ask if OP or anyone else posting has a "vested interest" in this thread, or am I just paranoid.

Given that risk, and the apparent low NPK values.
    Where is the attraction ??

Also.
    Can I just ask if OP or anyone else posting has a "vested interest" in this thread, or am I just paranoid.[/quote]

No vested interest other than I have a tonne ordered for some land I have which has never been manured! Hoping for a fym effect from this as its spread at a high rate/acre and its supposed to be slow release on the npk and trace minerals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

ABlur wrote: »
    Fairly low according to this flyer.

That is stretching the truth even a bag of Can would nearly have as much Nitrogen, from the figures a bag 0f 0-10-20 as much P&K and a bag and a haf of Granlime. In real terms if these are the figure it worth not much more than 40 euro/ton.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Probably aimed more to the "Parks & gardens" used than the commercial farmer. There was someone on here a few weeks ago looking for some kind of biological liquor for grassland, perhaps this product would meet requirements?
    A hard sell with figures of 3 - 2 - 1.7 at 200 per ton. To have equal power of say a bag of C.A.N and a tank of slurry per acre, you would need to spread 9 tons of the stuff for one ton of conventional fertilizer.

That's €1800 compared to €315 plus a tank of slurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I always though chicken manure was full of nutrients, wonder where they disappear too during the pellet manufacturing process.

gozunda wrote: »
    Did you give it a go so Jo?

Hi,

Ya , I gave it a go, and found it to be a great job, and saved a fortune on fertiliser this year because of it . €260 / tonne it was.

Ill definitely be getting more of it next year anyway, what ever about anyone else.

great job, as long as you listen to the suppliers advice on how much to spread per acre, as I did try put out more than required on one field, and it had very bad effect on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I use it in the pots in then poly tunnel along with liquid seaweed to bolster the plants and one handful does a tomato plant all summer with an odd liquid feed (liquid manure and seaweed) towards the end of the season.

This is what I use, I kid you not :D

COCK-A-DOODLE.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 243 ✭✭allbuiz

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi,

Ya , I gave it a go, and found it to be a great job, and saved a fortune on fertiliser this year because of it . €260 / tonne it was.

Ill definitely be getting more of it next year anyway, what ever about anyone else.

great job, as long as you listen to the suppliers advice on how much to spread per acre, as I did try put out more than required on one field, and it had very bad effect on it.

How did ya manage that with only a ton of the stuff?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 243 ✭✭allbuiz

Oldtree wrote: »
    I use it in the pots in then poly tunnel along with liquid seaweed to bolster the plants and one handful does a tomato plant all summer with an odd liquid feed (liquid manure and seaweed) towards the end of the season.

COCK-A-DOODLE.jpg

If ya had that hen squatting it would be a home dinger!

allbuiz wrote: »
    How did ya manage that with only a ton of the stuff?

Allbuiz, where exactly did I say that I only got a ton of it????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭secman

Oldtree wrote: »

COCK-A-DOODLE.jpg

Cock A Doodle POO more like.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

secman wrote: »
    Cock A Doodle POO more like.......

Yea, they missed a trick their.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

Can you spread the pellets with a wagtail spreader

agriman27 wrote: »
    Can you spread the pellets with a wagtail spreader