Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Crete

Options
  • 25-03-2014 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭

Just looking for advice from anyone has cycled in Crete.

Will be there for at least three days, in September.

Have come across martinbike on north of island, also one other crowd I found easy enough renting decent road bikes.

Anyone got good routes they have done? Longer hillier the better. Did forum search and all I found was a photo by @meercat from last summer

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

Never cycled there but went on my holidays there a few years ago and a few things occur to me. The whole centre of the island is a mountain so heading away from the coast is going to entail climbing. South side of the island was ridiculously hot in the summer, which is why everyone lives on the north side. They are insane drivers, spending large amounts of time in the hard shoulders making all roads into four lane highways. But the Island is also impossibly beautiful particularly when you get away from the northern coastal strip and the people very friendly. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Yeah I'd echo that, have been there four or five times but i've never cycled. Island can be very hot, even on occasion in September as it's virtually in Libya. I did see a few lads cycling on obviously rented bikes last time round so it's definitely done there. Some of the interior can be beautiful and very interesting too, the east and west coasts are quite remote and beautiful as I understand it, south quieter too but large parts of it don't have roads at all.

Bear in mind it's a big island and takes a long time to get around even in a car so not sure how much damage you'd do in 3 days.

Advertisement