Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skydive voucher about to expire

Options
  • 25-03-2014 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

I bought a skydive voucher off Deal Rush last year for €100 off a tandem skydive with a club in Longford. I put it off for last year because I'm a bit superstitious, but now the voucher is approaching its expiry date and I'm unsure whether to book it or not. I've always wanted to skydive but I've had so many people telling me horror stories of what's gone wrong, and so it's made me scared. Has anyone been with this club before, or tackled their nerves? Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Red_Dwarf

and what goes wrong did you hear from your friends

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

Red_Dwarf wrote: »
    and what goes wrong did you hear from your friends

People left with life changing injuries, paralysis and such.

Walking across a road is not safe in fairness

Just do it

Red_Dwarf wrote: »
    Walking across a road is not safe in fairness

Just do it

In all fairness, crossing a road is necessary.

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    In all fairness, crossing a road is necessary.

You can give me the voucher if you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I bought a skydive voucher off Deal Rush last year for €100 off a tandem skydive with a club in Longford. I put it off for last year because I'm a bit superstitious, but now the voucher is approaching its expiry date and I'm unsure whether to book it or not. I've always wanted to skydive but I've had so many people telling me horror stories of what's gone wrong, and so it's made me scared. Has anyone been with this club before, or tackled their nerves? Any advice?

When I done my skydive I done it for charity and paid extra myself to have it's duration filmed and caught on dvd.
    Nerves: Very clear evidence of me sitting at edge of plane looking out, knowing I was 10,000ft up from ground-level and thinking 'What in Gods's name am I actually doing here :o' but I still jumped!
    Most amazing experience of my life and no regrets by me either.

When does it expire?

Have you contacted the skydive club and put your thoughts to them and asked them for info to help you decide? :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    When I done my skydive I done it for charity and paid extra myself to have it's duration filmed and caught on dvd.
    Nerves: Very clear evidence of me sitting at edge of plane looking out, knowing I was 10,000ft up from ground-level and thinking 'What in Gods's name am I actually doing here :o' but I still jumped!
    Most amazing experience of my life and no regrets by me either.

When does it expire?

Have you contacted the skydive club and put your thoughts to them and asked them for info to help you decide? :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

It expires on the 6th of May. I've emailed them asking if they've had any accidents or incidents but I'm still waiting for a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It expires on the 6th of May. I've emailed them asking if they've had any accidents or incidents but I'm still waiting for a reply.

Skydiving is pretty safe. Because of the damages involved in falling several thousand feet the safety systems and fail safes have being extremely well designed and refined.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

I've done nearly 500 skydives including 2 at Abbeyschrule in Longford and not a scratch.

Stop worrying, just go and enjoy! Whatever you do don't waste the voucher. If you're not going to use it at least give it to someone who will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

What horror stories? Every week thousands of people all over the world jump for the first time without incident. On a good weekend in Ireland at least a couple of hundred people will make tandem jumps between the three dropzones in Ireland, four if you count the North. Incidents are rare, accidents are almost unheard of.

You'll be doing a tandem by the sound of it so it'll be with and experienced Instructor who has done it thousands of times before out of a plane flown by an experienced professional pilot. The people in Longford as far as I know haven't had an incident. If you follow the training and do as you're told. You'll be fine. I know it's a cliché but quite literally the drive to the airfield is more dangerous if not quite as exciting.

I've done two tandems. Never felt my life was in danger. Quite enjoyed them really.

Accidents do happen to skydivers, usually solo, often experienced skydivers and nine out of ten times they're trying something stupid at the time. But if you want to make a comparison they're like bikers compared to travelling on the big bus of the tandem parachute.

Go for it. You'll enjoy it. If you don't, all you're doing is giving free money to the dropzone. Which they like. All companies love selling vouchers because so many people never cash them in.

• Advertisement

Just want to let you guys know that I did my skydive this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

And lived to tell the tale :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 erto

If someone was considering doing one, I have a voucher for longford I won't be using.

tandemskydive.ie/index.html

If you want to save a few quid on it, PM me.

Advertisement