Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flushing or bleeding heating system??

Options
  • 25-03-2014 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭

There are loud grating noises coming from the pipes next to my gas boiler.

The boiler is our our bedroom and it's preventing us from having the heating come on for an hour or two during the night. It really is loud.

I've had to bleed some of the radiators a number of times in the last year, and one in particular needs to be bled at least once a week.

Does the system need to be bled completely or would it need a complete flush??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

There are loud grating noises coming from the pipes next to my gas boiler.

The boiler is our our bedroom and it's preventing us from having the heating come on for an hour or two during the night. It really is loud.

I've had to bleed some of the radiators a number of times in the last year, and one in particular needs to be bled at least once a week.

Does the system need to be bled completely or would it need a complete flush??

By the sounds of it you have a leak and it's drawing in air and fresh water, which in turn is sludging up your system so a flush is probably what you need. This would of course need to be confirmed by a survey of the job. What part of the country are you in. Some good guys on here that could help you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    By the sounds of it you have a leak and it's drawing in air and fresh water, which in turn is sludging up your system so a flush is probably what you need. This would of course need to be confirmed by a survey of the job. What part of the country are you in. Some good guys on here that could help you

Dublin 14.

Any rough guide price as to what a flush would cost?

Dublin 14.

Any rough guide price as to what a flush would cost?

Depends on how bad the system is and how many rads. A standard 7-10 rad house would be at least 400-450 approx
    I'd reccomend Shane 007 or johnnieK on here

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dysfunctional

Flushing would help. Also a compound can be added to seal minor leaks in the system. Can give you 20-30% saving on fuel too! Makes it quite good value for the money....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Flushing would help. Also a compound can be added to seal minor leaks in the system. Can give you 20-30% saving on fuel too! Makes it quite good value for the money....

I would never add leak sealers to gas boilers. They can cause more damage than good & often invalidate boiler manufacturer's warranties.
    Leak sealers are extremely hit & miss & if there is a leak, it should be found.
    Could be something as simple as a deflated expansion vessel or hole in joists too tight for pipework so when expanding it groans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭richieburke01

Hi, Air doesn’t get in as such it's created by the water reacting on the pipe work and gas is produced by electrolysis. A bit like a lead acid car battery on charge. (You might notice a sulphur like smell (rotten eggs) causes by hydrogen and sulphur ( from the copper)when you bleed your radiators. Also as you heat water to boiling point gases are released from the water. The treatments you can add to the system help reduce these effects. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dysfunctional

i found that using the leak sealer works really well if it is used properly. One advantage of the oil boilers is they have more tolerance for it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

i found that using the leak sealer works really well if it is used properly. One advantage of the oil boilers is they have more tolerance for it!!

True, oil boiler passage ways are much more tolerant.
    Care on systems must be considered with regard to AAV's etc as the sealer reacts with oxygen to seal.

Anyone experience with new sealer on the market MIRACLE SEAL

Anyone experience with new sealer on the market MIRACLE SEAL

Seen it. The lads that make CT1 make it. I'd be worried that you cal also use it on engines. In fact I think that's its primary use and " can also be used on heating systems '

• Advertisement

Yeah read that alright on it don't know what to make of it

Yeah read that alright on it don't know what to make of it

Doesn't say what'd happen if it's mixed with existing system inhibitor!!

Advertisement