Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[UK] 7000 homes block visits from the TV licence enforcers..

Options
  • 25-03-2014 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

...Growing numbers taking advantage of legal loophole that means they can threaten to sue collectors for trespass

I am amazed this report was released!!

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2587588

Basically what they are doing is saying they do not authorise them to be on thier property so the ppl leave so they arent cited..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

freemen are going to love this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭Glebee

I was about six weeks late paying my TV licence. In that six weeks I got at least 4 letters telling me to pay or else. It was always my intention to pay but other bills took priority. I would have loved to tell them to shove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Glebee wrote: »
    I was about six weeks late paying my TV licence. In that six weeks I got at least 4 letters telling me to pay or else. It was always my intention to pay but other bills took priority. I would have loved to tell them to shove it.

skip a couple of months and change the name of the licence holder :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Dude111 wrote: »
    I am amazed this report was released!!

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2587588

Basically what they are doing is saying they do not authorise them to be on thier property so the ppl leave so they arent cited..
    Won't be relevant in this country from next year onwards as the broadcasting charge will be leveied on every house regardless of whether there is a TV present or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

serfboard wrote: »
    Won't be relevant in this country from next year onwards as the broadcasting charge will be leveied on every house regardless of whether there is a TV present or not.

This boils my blood, it's a forced "opt-in" system, with no option to opt out.

I dont use any facet of RTE's services, cut me off from them please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭MacBoogerBalls

I dont use any facet of RTE's services, cut me off from them please.
    I'm sure there are lots of public funded services you do not use...
    Should they all be opt in / pay for use?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

The other "loophole" in the UK is that you can make yourself exempt from paying the fee if you say you only watch programs "on demand" rather than live. So you can still get the benefits of the BBC, just as long as your viewing it a few hours later when they've put the program on their iPlayer! Completely ridiculous system!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

guttenberg wrote: »
    The other "loophole" in the UK is that you can make yourself exempt from paying the fee if you say you only watch programs "on demand" rather than live. So you can still get the benefits of the BBC, just as long as your viewing it a few hours later when they've put the program on their iPlayer! Completely ridiculous system!

The Noel Edmonds defence.

I'm sure there are lots of public funded services you do not use...
    Should they all be opt in / pay for use?

No. just the TV licence. Make RTE sub based. THEN you'll see an accurate representation of who actually wants it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

It's not about RTE though is it.

At the moment it's a license for having a TV - regardless of whether you use it or not or what you watch.

The new scheme is to ensure that this revenue cannot be jeopardised by the introduction of viable TV alternatives. The advancement in technology has made it easier for the government to cast the net wider to the extent where 99% of households would be liable for the license. makes sense to have an opt out system

• Advertisement

My post here sums up my feeling on the new "broadcasting charge"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Make RTE sub based. THEN you'll see an accurate representation of who actually wants it.
    Heh thats probably why they dont icon10.gif (They know hardily anyone REALLY WANTS IT)

Advertisement