Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Struggling with a new business name!!

Options
  • 25-03-2014 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I’m working on a business start-up, I need help with the name for the business. I’m struggling with it. My business will be online mainly, although its beginning to look like I will have to open a shop to stock a number of the brands I like, so the name needs to work for a shop and online.

My Business:
    I plan to sell really gorgeous yoga, Pilates, fitness/workout and dance wear. This started out with me wanting to sell dancewear (I have a background in Dance) but it wasn't big enough to be sustainable, yoga and Pilates are the two areas that dancers cross train in, and they are hugely popular in general, for me it makes sense to broaden my focus in these areas.

Initially I wanted to call the dance business Debut Dancewear, which I still really like, but it does not work for the broader yoga/Pilates/fitness thing. I’ve done a couple of brainstorming sessions, with a business coach, and we made progress with a concept for the brand identity, but still no name. I’d like to share with you some ideas and concepts around the brand and I’m hoping to get some ideas or further feedback and comments.

The brand concept has been developed from my early dance background, the level of discipline, drive and determination required to be a dancer - if you could apply it to other areas of your life or personal training that you could achieve anything. That my giving yourself time to exercise and keep yourself fit, strong and powerful, that you will have more energy and therefore drive to keep pushing towards your goal...

The business name needs to convey the strength and grace of women. I've done a few brain storming sessions: associated words on paper with some (creative) friends and nothing really is standing out.

I'm beginning to think that there may not be a name/word to encompass what we're trying to achieve, and perhaps I need a "made-up" word like ZuZu that isn't connected and from there I build the brand around it.

All comments and feedback welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

Discipline

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Pussy Galore's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

stretchfit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Curves

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Get a pen to paper and start writing. Create headings like 'sophistication' and 'elegance' and list tons of words relating to each heading (get out your thesaurus). Circle things that capture your attention. Create more headings. Make more lists.
    Writing (and having information in simple black and white) helps the creative process.

Barring that you could use a site like crowdSPRING to get a whole lot of ideas for a couple of hundred euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Its a bit of an ask if the only info you provide is your target market and some fitness regimes, with dance thrown in. I would have to assume it's some type of fitness class, or course. If that's anywhere near the mark, maybe your business name could resemble

Balance Fitness

Finesse Health

Feminine Fit

Without more info, that's all i got

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

The word 'Finesse' is one that came to mind after a very speedy mind jog. I think it works well with the bare information that you've given us. I see goz83 has mentioned it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

For a brand name style of business name, take a set of related words. Then try breaking them into fragments and mixing them into possible combinations that suggest what your business is about. (This is how some of the big brands develop names).

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Swan?
    Sorry I can't elaborate right now but I'm sure you get the idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Paddy_R wrote: »
    Get a pen to paper and start writing. Create headings like 'sophistication' and 'elegance' and list tons of words relating to each heading (get out your thesaurus). Circle things that capture your attention. Create more headings. Make more lists.
    Writing (and having information in simple black and white) helps the creative process.

Barring that you could use a site like crowdSPRING to get a whole lot of ideas for a couple of hundred euros.

+1 on this.

Also, when you are writing try and get another person to sit down with you and bounce words off each other. Give it 5-10 minutes or so. After this look at the page and see if any of the words jump out of the page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Aurora was the roman goddess of the Dawn
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_(mythology)
    Aurora fitness sounds good and is sophisticated enough for an upmarket or discerning clientelle

Its also a name that starts with an 'A' so it will appear near the top of most business listings websites and books.

You can send me my cheque via PM

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Akrasia wrote: »
    Aurora was the roman goddess of the Dawn
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_(mythology)
    Aurora fitness sounds good and is sophisticated enough for an upmarket or discerning clientelle

Its also a name that starts with an 'A' so it will appear near the top of most business listings websites and books.

You can send me my cheque via PM

Nearly as important as finding a name is finding a name that you can use as your website address. Aurora.ie aurora.com aurorafitness.com (Australia) and .net are gone so if you like this name aurorafitness.ie you need to see if you can buy it first. The same would go for any other name you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

How about "Inner Realm". Inner as in looking within for strength while keeping control over your surroundings (realm). I'm assuming the business is based on providing yoga & fitness classes so it would fit with an actual physical location where women would go to.

The .ie site is available, the .com is taken though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 En.pointe

Firstly, many thanks to those of you that have taken the time to post comments - much appreciated.

Secondly, due noted, I posted late last night and I didn't give enough info - I have now updated the post with more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Supple Chic ?

bit cruder if you want to go that route - Fit Bitchaz Inc.

*Ahem* PM sent for payment to my paypal :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9 david147

something indian to make it more exotic?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Goddess Gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

Sweat

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

Fitnesse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Piloga health and fitness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭donalh087

Rock Bottom

Advertisement