Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone sending messed up texts

Options
  • 24-03-2014 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭

Hoping one of you can help with this.

I'm using an Alcatel OT Idol Mini, but had the same issue on my last phone (alcatel one touch 901).

When I send a text, half of it sends, but the second half is replaced with half of a text i sent the same recipient weeks before! So they get a text that makes no sense, but my phone says it sent what I actually typed.

Anyway of fixing this? Deleting my messages doesn't help. :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Have you any messaging app that you added to the phone? Never heard of this before, but you've had it on two phones. Either software or user!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I have viber and Facebook messenger, neither of which I use. Had neither on the previous phone.

I thought it was a network issue on my old phone (Meteor) but I'm with Three now and it's still happening :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

This used to happen me quite a lot with my old phone. Thought it would stop when I bought a new phone - and it did, for a while. It still happens now and again though. It's really weird, and causes a lot of confusion for the recipients of my messed up texts!!

You're the first person other than myself that I've heard of this happening to. The staff at the O2 shop looked at me like I had two heads when I tried to explain the problem!

I used to have a Sony Xperia U, and I now have a Sony Xperia SP (new sim in this phone, same number). Both have/had Viber installed, but I never use it.

ajjmk wrote: »
    This used to happen me quite a lot with my old phone. Thought it would stop when I bought a new phone - and it did, for a while. It still happens now and again though. It's really weird, and causes a lot of confusion for the recipients of my messed up texts!!

You're the first person other than myself that I've heard of this happening to. The staff at the O2 shop looked at me like I had two heads when I tried to explain the problem!

I used to have a Sony Xperia U, and I now have a Sony Xperia SP (new sim in this phone, same number). Both have/had Viber installed, but I never use it.

Yeah, I asked a guy in the Meteor shop about it on my last phone and he hadn't heard of it. Asked my bf about my Three phone (he worked for them) and he had never heard of it either.

It's just a bit frustrating because I have to send a lot of texts in my line of work, and my boss keeps ggetting bollocksed up texts :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Patrick Nulty has a similar problem with his phone it seems.

*Advice:Have you got the sim replaced to rule that out?

• Advertisement

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Patrick Nulty has a similar problem with his phone it seems.

*Advice:Have you got the sim replaced to rule that out?

I've had three sims, a phone and a network replacement :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

When you say half of it sends, does it only happen with messages over 160 characters?

When you say half of it sends, does it only happen with messages over 160 characters?

Yeah, once it goes past the 160 characters, the second half is replaced with half of an old, previously sent text. I keep general texts short, but I have to send fairly long texts to my boss regularly (no way around that), so it's a bit awkward for work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

I have viber and Facebook messenger, neither of which I use. Had neither on the previous phone.

I thought it was a network issue on my old phone (Meteor) but I'm with Three now and it's still happening :mad:

So, two networks and two phones, and it stills happens??

Common denominator is user. Or Alcatel!!!

Have you tried Cabbage?? (Not that cabbage, this cabbage :) )

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cabbagetexter.android.cabbage

Provides quick and easy use of your free web text(SMS) from Irish mobile providers Meteor,Vodafone,o2, 3, eMobile and Tesco mobile.

O2 UK and Telenor Serbia are also supported.

Might help until full solution is found.

So, two networks and two phones, and it stills happens??

Common denominator is user. Or Alcatel!!!

Have you tried Cabbage?? (Not that cabbage, this cabbage :) )

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cabbagetexter.android.cabbage

Might help until full solution is found.

It's probably Alcatel, damn cheap phones :pac:

Haven't actually used Cabbage, but that may be helpful for work texts. Thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I had the same issue with a galaxy s3. Both sending and receiving to and from an IPhone. Nobody could diagnose it, I got a new phone a and it stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

This kind of thing is rare but not unheard-of. Setting the phone to sync the time from the network helps somewhat, but I think it's weirdness inherent in SMS, and the fact that it handles messages longer than 160c due to some hideous software kludge.

Advertisement