Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water well Location..

Options
  • 24-03-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

I am considering drilling a well for both house and sheds....but..
    There is a bog not 200m behind my house and another bog not 1000km to the front of my house...the ground its self is sand quarry with several pits in the local area.....I'm worried that all I will get is undrinkable bog water...what do you think would I be gambling money that could be spent elsewhere? I'm currently on the mains supply...1 meter for farm and one for the house (just gone in last week.)....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

There is a bog not 200m behind my house and another bog not 1000km to the front of my house...the ground its self is sand quarry with several pits in the local area.....I'm worried that all I will get is undrinkable bog water...what do you think would I be gambling money that could be spent elsewhere? I'm currently on the mains supply...1 meter for farm and one for the house (just gone in last week.)....

Go down far enough in the rock and you won't be drinking bog water. Water there is either aquifer or underground source. Most bogs are held underneath by impermeable marls that help retain the bog water levels in place. These largely lowland bogs are mostly situated where open water such as lakes and fens once were. Blanket bogs in upland areas are shallow and grow over bedrock like you see on mountain areas.

A well will capture underground water that has a better chance of being clean. putting in a well to avoid the water charges might be futile as IrishWater will charge everybody whether used or not for a set minimum amount.

If I had to select a site for the well - go for a sandy area, the sand will aid water percolation and act as a barrier to any local water contamination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

gozunda wrote: »
    Go down far enough in the rock and you won't be drinking bog water. Water there is either aquifer or underground source. Most bogs are held underneath by impermeable marls that help retain the bog water levels in place. These largely lowland bogs are mostly situated where open water such as lakes and fens once were. Blanket bogs in upland areas are shallow and grow over bedrock like you see on mountain areas.

A well will capture underground water that has a better chance of being clean. putting in a well to avoid the water charges might be futile as IrishWater will charge everybody whether used or not for a set minimum amount.

If I had to select a site for the well - go for a sandy area, the sand will aid water percolation and act as a barrier to any local water contamination.

If you have a well and get the mains water disconnected they cant charge you for water unless the government start taxing wells

9935452 wrote: »
    If you have a well and get the mains water disconnected they cant charge you for water unless the government start taxing wells

The OP had said that there were mains already on site.
    Farmers pay for water already where there is a connection.
    From what IrishWater have said so far if there is an existing connection- you will be charged for a minimum amount whether it is used or not. I don't know if disconnecting yourself will help. (See below). If there is a Well but no connection - then yes from what I have read no bill. Well and connection - don't know how you go about getting officially disconnected. You are charged in advance for the mains.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/water_services/water_charges.html

The OP had said that there were mains already on site.
    Farmers pay for water already where there is a connection.
    From what IrishWater have said so far if there is an existing connection- you will be charged for a minimum amount whether it is used or not. I don't know if disconnecting yourself will help. (See below). If there is a Well but no connection - then yes from what I have read no bill. Well and connection - don't know how you go about getting officially disconnected. You are charged in advance for the mains.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/water_services/water_charges.html

id be assuming he will be getting the mains water disconnected.
    My parents have had a well for the last 35 years and never have had to use the mains and are getting the mains disconnected

9935452 wrote: »
    id be assuming he will be getting the mains water disconnected.
    My parents have had a well for the last 35 years and never have had to use the mains and are getting the mains disconnected

Have they notified IW / LA ? - Because it's a public service they may be a good idea to notified them first so that they don't charge

• Advertisement

Have they notified IW / LA ? - Because it's a public service they may be a good idea to notified them first so that they don't charge

They are in the process of doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cristeoir

Would you not consider waiting to see how much the mains water is going to cost you per year before you get disconnected. I don't know how much it would cost you to sink a well but from what I have heard it can run to several thousand plus cost of pump and ongoing maintenance and esb costs .Then there is the possibility that the water you get may not be great quality and may need to be put through a treatment system before use........... all adding up to extra
    money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Ya that's good advice ....I am still interested about the concequences of drilling so close to bog for future consideration....Two connections could hit the 500euro mark..... connection for farm is high here in limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Would it be worth ringing a couple of drilling companies for advice / quotes ??
    It'd be ballpark stuff but you'd have to start somewhere and they'd have experience of most conditions .....
    Is bog water suitable for stock if filtered right ? And just keep the mains connection for the house

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement