Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to install ubuntu

Options
  • 24-03-2014 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

hi guys.I turned on my xp pc and got a message that MS are discontinuing support for xp. i want to install ubuntu on the pc so i downloaded ubuntu-13.10-desktop-i386[1].iso file but before i burn it onto a cd i have to check the iso file with md5sum but i cant figure out how this is done using windows xp Does anyone have a link to detailed instructions on how this is done cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I use hashcalc you don't necessarily have to calculate the md5sum it just verifies that the iso has downloaded correctly. i.e. nothing dropped or corrupted.

Google hashcalc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

brutus99, I'd just burn it and use. If you experience any problems then you might want to verify the iso file, but 99% the file is OK.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/LQ_ISO/Checking_the_md5sum_in_Windows

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭brutus99

thanks lads i was able to download the hashcalc but i was unable to get it to check the .iso file i downloaded, so i went ahead and burned it onto cd and i tried to use it to boot up my pc (not install) but i got EDD : error 8000 reading sector 55
    EDD : error 8000 reading sector 56
    EDD : error 8000 reading sector 57
    EDD : error 8000 reading sector 58
    error reading config file
    boot:
    no label keywords found
    and this kept repeating. so i reckoned the iso file was corrupt or incomplete.
    do you know where i can download a good copy of the ubuntu os iso file.
    cheers guys

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Ubuntu I would typically download from their website but if all else fails you could select from one of the many iso available @ heanet
    ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ubuntu-releases/saucy/ubuntu-13.10-desktop-i386.iso would look like the equivalent of what you were downloading.
    A lot of people with older hardware (and if your system was XP originally yours might fit that description?) recommend xubuntu or even lubuntu - they're the basic ubuntu with a lighter weight (in processing terms) user interface... the current ubuntu desktop works best with newer hardware.
    You can get those at heanet too
    ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ubuntu-cdimage/xubuntu/releases/saucy/release/xubuntu-13.10-desktop-i386.iso
    ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ubuntu-cdimage/lubuntu/releases/saucy/release/lubuntu-13.10-desktop-i386.iso

Now, ubuntu and all its derivative versions release on a 6 monthly schedule and the releases are in April (next month) and October.
    Every 2 years ubuntu release what they call their LTS or Long Term Support versions.

Why am I explaining all this? Well, next month (April 2014 - 14.04) ubuntu will release its next LTS version. If I were installing ubuntu (or any of the derivatives like lubuntu) now this is the version I would be looking to install - once it is released that is. In the meantime you can still download the latest releases, experiment & learn but I would hold back on the actual final install until the 14.04 release!

thanks croo,that sounds like good advice. I think i will wait. I am not in any hurry it is a secondary pc that i only use for surfing and movies. thanks for the help guys.

• Advertisement

thanks janeparker but it is an old pc and i don't want to pay for windows 7 when there is free open source stuff out there that will do just fine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

brutus99 wrote: »
    thanks janeparker...
    In case people are confused I removed Janeparker's post as "off topic".

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ei3gqb

Hi...check if ur pc can boot from a usb stick..if it can then set boot sequence priority to boot from usb to first in the list in the bios setup... get a 2gb usb memory stick and download the prefered version of ubunto to ur hdd on windows then download the usb installer from ubunto into ur pc...open the installer and install ubunto onto th usb stick...before rebooting pc make sure that you have set the pc to see the usb first the machine will then ask if you want to install and overwrite windows or install side by side with windows...the secound option is preferable as you then can switch beween both os's as an when you like...if your pc does not support booting from usb then you need to burn a bootable cd disc...use a cd-rw for this rather than cd-r disc....then set the dvd/cd drive to first in the boot priority...full details on both options are on the ubunto site...linux works fine on a dell inspiron 9300 that i use as a spare..best of luck wt ur efforts....3gqb

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Have done this 10 times,
    download mint iso, burn to cdr ,using IMGburn at 2x.
    Put cd in drive ,boot from cdr.click install mint.
    For older pcs less than 4gig ram get the 32bit version.
    http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=143

latest version needs dvdr,disk.

old version 7 fits on 1 cdr.

MINT is for non expert users, menu s look like windows 7.
    go to menu software manager,
    internet, download chrome, click ok, install,
    put in your mint user password .
    eg user77bbgg.

Part OF INSTALL process is make password.
    when you install a program ,it asks for password.
    VLC Player and firefox browser is preinstalled in the os install process.
    Use ingburn program, click menu, burn image command ,speed burn at 2x in settings burn options.

ITS Faster than win7, more secure , especially on older pcs.

Backup UP YOUR DATA, pics,music,video, before you start the install process .
    AS the default install process formats drive c; pc drive.
    i never bother checking iso files,
    never had a bad iso download.
    if pc has 1gig ram get mint version 6.

Mint is easier to use for new users than standard ubuntu ,
    at least re menu layout.

Advertisement