Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss gauntlets - yay or nay?

Options
  • 24-03-2014 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,566 ✭✭✭✭

Playing a certain relatively recent Zelda game right now (don't want to spoil anything for anyone yet to play it, so I'll be vague) and the final stage contains what I presume will be a boss gauntlet i.e. facing all the bosses you faced in the game so far, plus the end one, plus a mish mash of previous dungeon designs. Do you think this game play device is simply lazy game writing or something that whets your appetite? Personally, it makes me roll my eyes because it's something of a slog.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Nay - A big a$$ nay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

In the story mode of a game i dislike it as i agree its lazy.Only as a separate challenge type mode its acceptable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It works in some games. Action games that are all about learning off the battle system like DMC, Megaman or Viewtiful Joe (funnily enough all Capcom games who first did the boss rush) it's like a final challenge. You've done well getting this far now go wild on all the bosses again.

In other games it can feel like padding though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

There's a great one in Mario 3D World. You choose the order you challenge them so that involves making tactical decisions, you're against the clock, all works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It can be done right. Sometimes there's no better feeling than struggling against some early bosses, then facing them again later when you're stronger in the game and better at the game, and crushing them with little problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Dark Souls boss rush mode would be excellent. Just not as part of the main game. DLC maybe.

Didn't Fantasy Zone on the MS have it first? Maybe it was Parodius, it was some side scrolling colour-fest I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Didn't bother me too much as I was so overpowered at that stage, in comparison to when I first fought them, that I breezed through it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Depends in the execution like most things. I liked how in Strider you got to fight different combinations of the Four Winds, but disliked how Okami made you fight all the bosses one after the other without your powers. I think there should be more to it than just slogging through the early game again. It should be a chance to make old tricks work together in interesting ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Nay. They are usually a lazy and repetitive way to pad out a game. I was surprised by that one in 3D World and didn't really enjoy it. I'd rather that they always be optional.

Advertisement