Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gutted about business mock - want to stay in higher level,any advice?

Options
  • 24-03-2014 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. I do higher level business and i be honest I don't work to the best of my ability at all and I am really lazy when it comes to study! I got close to 70% in higher level when I studied quite a bit which I was over the moon about. For the mocks I failed. I know I have no one to blame with myself and now the teacher wants me to move to ordinary(think she already wanted me to do before Xmas tests but once I got that result I think she decided to change her mind) I can't afford to drop and this result has made me determined to work, it's given me the much needed kick up the backside I needed. I don't want to be awkward with the teacher but I don't want to move down because I need the points for my course and I know that I can do a lot of work and improve between now and June. Can anyone give me any advice as to how to approach the teacher regarding me staying in higher? I don't want to be argumentive or awkward, it's just I know I'm capable of getting a decent grade in higher if I really studied and put in the effort :/ Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 shedu

Even if the teacher forces you to move down to ordinary, you can still do the honours paper on the day of the exam. Lots of people change levels on the day - mostly honours maths to pass maths. What mark did you get?

The teacher's main concern may be not having any fails in her class. Your main concern is your points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Hey guys. I do higher level business and i be honest I don't work to the best of my ability at all and I am really lazy when it comes to study! I got close to 70% in higher level when I studied quite a bit which I was over the moon about. For the mocks I failed. I know I have no one to blame with myself and now the teacher wants me to move to ordinary(think she already wanted me to do before Xmas tests but once I got that result I think she decided to change her mind) I can't afford to drop and this result has made me determined to work, it's given me the much needed kick up the backside I needed. I don't want to be awkward with the teacher but I don't want to move down because I need the points for my course and I know that I can do a lot of work and improve between now and June. Can anyone give me any advice as to how to approach the teacher regarding me staying in higher? I don't want to be argumentive or awkward, it's just I know I'm capable of getting a decent grade in higher if I really studied and put in the effort :/ Thanks in advance :)

If you write a note to her saying the above, I'd find it hard to believe she'd insist you drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭missguided

You got 70% with a bit of work, so you're definitely capable of honours. Just be honest with her- tell her you haven't worked much so far, and the mock result was the boost you needed to work to achieve your potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You can't be forced to move to ordinary. Unless there are two business classes on at the same time, one higher and one ordinary, you won't be leaving the class. You can choose whichever paper you want on the day of the exam. That is your choice.

However you can be proactive. Did you fail by much? If your result was in the 30s, it's not such a big problem. If it was lower than 25% you have a lot of work to do.

Start working with exam papers. I'm not familiar with business, I didn't do it for my Leaving Cert, but I know there are 3 sections to it. Pick a topic, study it, do all the questions on that topic. You will soon see which ones repeat consistently and what is not so important. Correct your answers from the marking schemes so you know how you are doing. Try and do as much of the questions as you can without the help of your books and notes.

Maybe approach your teacher and if they are willing they might agree to correct some extra work for you if you say agree to do 2 full exam questions and hand them in every week on top of whatever class work you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Well I talked to my business teacher and she told me she would think about it :) I said all of the above. I asked if it would possible if I put in the effort could I pass and she was very reluctant at the possibility of me staying in higher level. (I got moved to pass class after I got my result - and yes, higher and ordinary are in the same room) She said results generally don't change in business in leaving cert. If this was the junior cert it would be possible,but at leaving cert it is just a myth. I'm still in ordinary level class at the moment and if turns out that I have to stay put, I am going to have to aim for the A1, points wise! I have no idea how hard it would be to get an A1 at O.L and would much rather get the C3 in higher,but I guess I'll see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 X13

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    She said results generally don't change in business in leaving cert. If this was the junior cert it would be possible,but at leaving cert it is just a myth.

That's a ridiculous statement. Especially from a teacher who should be motivating and encouraging her students. People's results will improve if they put the work in. There is exactly ten weeks left until the Leaving Cert begins - you can achieve so much progress in that time if you put in the effort.

What did you actually get in the mock? If you are still in the same class then it makes no difference. Grades can improve between mocks and the real thing but it does depend on how you did that's why I'm asking about your grade. Did you fail by much?

I got 33% :/ Terrible I know, but I feel I could get a pass or even better if I worked though. Our teacher is giving the ordinary class a test soon so I am going to study very dilligently and hopefully get a high grade, which would prove I could get a pass at higher hopefully!

33% is not the worst in the world. i wouldn't be telling any of my students to drop to ordinary level if they got 33. I would be looking to see what they could do to ensure they get 40+ in June.

That is reassuring! The teacher told me that she would still be worried even though I was very honest and said I did not put work into the subject at all and that was the mock was a wake up call. I said I would be more than prepared to work but she was still very hesitant! I think she is giving the pass class a test soon so the plan is to really learn for it,a high grade would hopefully ensure I'm worthy of a place in higher level

• Advertisement
Advertisement