Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep getting punctures?

Options
  • 24-03-2014 4:27pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am getting punctures more and more frequently, I commute <5km each way to work.
    Last two trips I have gotten a puncture within a few km. New tube this morning lasted 3km.
    Before this I seem to be getting them every 2 weeksish, seems a bit much. How often do people on here get them? I used to never get any, first occurred after about 8 months usage.
    I keep the tubes at 120psi.

What could the culprit be apart from our crap roads, damaged rim, glass stuck in tyre, tyres worn down? Tyres are over a year old now, I'm not sure how frequently they should be changed or of signs as to when to do so. I'll be checking today's puncture alter to see where it happened on the tube.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭omri

Check your tyres inside for sharp objects. Not sure what PSI is recommended for your tyres. Use rim tape, check if spokes don't go through rim tape. Any other sharp stuff on the rim/tyre etc. Think of puncture resistant tyres. Not sure what else tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

First of all what tyres are you using and how many miles are on them now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I am getting punctures more and more frequently, I commute <5km each way to work.
    Last two trips I have gotten a puncture within a few km. New tube this morning lasted 3km.
    Before this I seem to be getting them every 2 weeksish, seems a bit much. How often do people on here get them? I used to never get any, first occurred after about 8 months usage.
    I keep the tubes at 120psi.

What could the culprit be apart from our crap roads, damaged rim, glass stuck in tyre, tyres worn down? Tyres are over a year old now, I'm not sure how frequently they should be changed or of signs as to when to do so. I'll be checking today's puncture alter to see where it happened on the tube.

They should be changed once you start getting punctures frequently.
    120psi is pretty high pressure too. what size tyre?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

omri wrote: »
    Check your tyres inside for sharp objects. Not sure what PSI is recommended for your tyres. Use rim tape, check if spokes don't go through rim tape. Any other sharp stuff on the rim/tyre etc. Think of puncture resistant tyres. Not sure what else tbh.
    CJC999 wrote: »
    First of all what tyres are you using and how many miles are on them now?
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    They should be changed once you start getting punctures frequently.
    120psi is pretty high pressure too. what size tyre?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-sport-compact-2013-road-bike-ec040965#features
    Specialized Espoir Sport, 60TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700×25c
    psi 110-125

I'm not sure if pressure is the problem as I have had them at that for over a year and most of that had no punctures? Perhaps 110? I'm not sure what they should be at but they would be going down from 120 after use and I'd pumped them every week or two.

It's been ~2100km on them.

I'll look for anything offending in the area tonight also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭omri

I used armadillos http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/all-condition-armadillo-700c-road-tyre-ec001821

They are uber crap on wet - but then you tend to develop great bike handling technique - but I never got any punctures - never, even when I was pulling pieces of glass of it. They are very heavy too.

Now I will be trying gatorskins for the first time so we'll see how these perform.

I know you can buy some sort of kevlar tape that you put inside the tyre to protect the tube from anything that might pierce the tyre.

You can try these too :)

airless-tyres.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks, I'm definitely open to suggestions on new tyres!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭mp31

Has anyone tried these: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/road-tires/trainingall-season-road-tires/all-condition-armadillo-elite

Lighter than the standard tyres but will the same level of puncture protection apparently.

Advertisement