Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for Music & Tech MA, What should I Include in application?

Options
  • 24-03-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

I am applying for a masters in Music and Technology in CIT, Cork. I have a big interest in Music engineering and I have been studying it in my own time for the last 3 years. My background in music wouldn't be that substantial, as in I have a business degree and work in IT but I have been djing and producing for a number of years. I'm just wondering what should I include in my application for this Masters? So far I've just been thinking of some examples of work I have done and a cover letter.

If anyone has some advice for me I would really appreciate it, or even any examples or templates for such a portfolio to be put together. Even if anyone has applied for such a course in the past and how they went about it would be great too.

The course I wish to do: http://www.cit.ie/course/CR_GMUTE_9

Many thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

I can't see where they are asking for a portfolio on application, but maybe I am missing that somewhere on the course page.

The alarm bell from reading your short introduction is whether it is appropriate for you to "jump" into a masters from no formal music tech background. The reason I mention this is that a few people did that in my masters and they didn't get very far as the staff did not always appreciate the backgrounds of some students. So, it is either a case that a Uni will have it open to many backgrounds and expect that each student makes up for anything or that the Uni will actively bring people up to a standard in a short space of time. Either way, the student has a large responsibility.

A good read of the module descriptions will help you a lot. I took a look at the Acoustics and psycho-acoustics module at CIT as it is the most obvious overlap with mine and they use the book which my acoustics and psycho-acoustics professor wrote. Given how they ran the module for my masters and what was taught/assessed then it would be appropriate for people of many backgrounds to come in and do so that is a good sign. However, there is a lot of work to get things done to a masters level of course.

For my masters, I didn't do anything new from what I covered in my undergrad or HND courses, which is surprising to an extent however the standards at which things are marked is much higher which makes sense.

The MA seems to have a choice between a research project or an electroacoustic composition with the latter seeming like it is down your street.

Advertisement