Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Map of Irish rivers

Options
  • 24-03-2014 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a detailed website for a map of the rivers with names.
    Theres a wee river up the road from me, with plenty of trout to a pound but i don't know the name, nor does anyone local. Would like to find info on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ordinance Survey Ireland will have it named on the local OS maps. Not sure if they're online but local library will have it in hard copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skipper756

Check out www.OSI.ie and click on "Explore Maps using our free viewer" you can zoom in on your local area and check the river names. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bencarvosso

if the name doesnt come up in the first map, there are a few different choices on the toolbar on the right...
    the historic maps or wind report usually come up with names of small lakes and rivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

skipper756 wrote: »
    Check out www.OSI.ie and click on "Explore Maps using our free viewer" you can zoom in on your local area and check the river names. :)

have done, and its not named:( Il have another look now, clicking the icons on toolbar, see does it help

No luck. I have the name of the river it runs into.
    It would be controlled by that rivers laws i would presume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Does anyone know of a detailed website for a map of the rivers with names.
    Theres a wee river up the road from me, with plenty of trout to a pound but i don't know the name, nor does anyone local. Would like to find info on it.

Maybe if you state the ballpark area you are in someone could PM you or even suggest a local contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

the irish waterframework directive website has a water viewer map that may or may not have your river listed.

http://www.wfdireland.ie/maps.html

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

If there are trout to over a pound chances are it has a name and a club which controls the fishing. Please do not give enough details here to locate it.

whelzer wrote: »
    If there are trout to over a pound chances are it has a name and a club which controls the fishing. Please do not give enough details here to locate it.

I wont don't worry. No club over it, i'm in the nearest club which is the next town over.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

A hidden gem?? I wouldn't tell a soul!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

The EPA have a fairly comprehensive database of rivers and streams.
    Here's a mapping page. http://gis.epa.ie/Envision
    Zoom into your area, and turn on Rivers and Streams data (Water Features -> Rivers group)

Drop me a PM if you need any help with it.

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    The EPA have a fairly comprehensive database of rivers and streams.
    Here's a mapping page. http://gis.epa.ie/Envision
    Zoom into your area, and turn on Rivers and Streams data (Water Features -> Rivers group)

Drop me a PM if you need any help with it.

Great site that. Got it.
    Very handy site for waterways.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

just go on to google maps it says the name of every river if u zoom into it a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

just go on to google maps it says the name of every river if u zoom into it a bit

It does not name the smaller rivers or tributaries. I have checked a couple near me and they are unnamed - just as well I know the names myself and the OS maps have them too.

No it dosnt, i tried that as above. Smaller river are shown on very few maps. Even the OSI didnt have this one.
    Manzoors link was very good

Advertisement